Board logo

Car advice
speedyxjs - 26/4/08 at 07:24 PM

I never thought id have to ask this but here goes.
I have an interview on wednesday for a course at a college at shorham airport, 35 miles away.
I have worked out today, coming back from a business meeting, that i will be paying £2800 per year (2 year course) in fuel driving my 3.2 Jag.
Now i have also worked out that IF i can fnd a small car to last me 2 years i can save some money. So here are the requirements:

Must cost around £500 or less (Ebay jobby)
Be fun or at least interesting to drive
Average 30mpg or above
Be fairly reliable

Can anyone think of any cars that fit these requirements?

Dangle_kt - 26/4/08 at 07:26 PM

Fit LPG to your jag - it will reduce your fuel bill considerabley, add to the resale value of it and means your driving your dream car every day

oh and your signature is WRONG on this one, a jag engine is the problem, not the answer

[Edited on 26/4/08 by Dangle_kt]

Liam - 26/4/08 at 07:26 PM

pug 205 1.4 xs. Awesome!!!!!

speedyxjs - 26/4/08 at 07:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
Fit LPG to your jag - it will reduce your fuel bill considerabley, add to the resale value of it and means your driving your dream car every day

Forgot to add that lpg is out of the question for two main reasons.
1) give it a few years and lpg will be probably be pretty close to the same price as petrol
2) Not sure what it costs now but pretty sure i wont be able to afford it as iv got to pay for my norway holiday in a few weeks

ETA - Thought of a third, there is only 1 lpg station near me and its not on my route

[Edited on 26-4-08 by speedyxjs]

Ivan - 26/4/08 at 07:29 PM

Don't know prices in England but would personally go for something like a Clio or Fiesta or Pug which are all fun to drive and economical.

speedyxjs - 26/4/08 at 07:30 PM

Also, i hate french

speedyxjs - 26/4/08 at 07:31 PM

quote:
oh and your signature is WRONG on this one, a jag engine is the problem, not the answer

Liam - 26/4/08 at 07:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
Also, i hate french

Probably for no good reason! Well your loss 1.4 xs' truly rock!

speedyxjs - 26/4/08 at 07:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Liam
quote:
Also, i hate french

Probably for no good reason! Well your loss 1.4 xs' truly rock!

I didnt say its out of the qeustion, just that i dont like them
What do classic beetles go for nowadays?

adithorp - 26/4/08 at 07:34 PM

Deawoo Matiz!

Not worth £500 new.
Mad ein the east so reliable...ish.
Runs elastic bands.
Get one above 30mph and life is diffinatly "interesting"

adrian

speedyxjs - 26/4/08 at 07:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Deawoo Matiz!

Not worth £500 new.
Mad ein the east so reliable...ish.
Runs elastic bands.
Get one above 30mph and life is diffinatly "interesting"

adrian

I said car not box

rusty nuts - 26/4/08 at 07:42 PM

Fuel consumption on a classic Beetle is crap . Try a pug 306td even if you hate french cars they go and handle well And you should be able to get one for £500. Would offer you my XM but you wouldn't want to drive a jag ever again.

[Edited on 26/4/08 by rusty nuts]

speedyxjs - 26/4/08 at 07:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Would offer you my XM but you wouldn't want to drive a jag ever again.

I think if i had an XM, id rather pay the £2800 per year

Benzine - 26/4/08 at 07:48 PM

For something exciting I'd say charade gtti. Fast + 50mpg (initial cost would be over £500 though, more like £800+)

b16mts - 26/4/08 at 07:48 PM

go for a honda civic 1.6 vtec esi.

strong n reliable n fun, 126 bhp (iirc), and will get your desired bhp.

martin

big_wasa - 26/4/08 at 07:49 PM

Im not a fan of French either

BUT they do take some beating and they dont rust like a Ford.

I am being converted

speedyxjs - 26/4/08 at 07:51 PM

From your comments, im warming a bit more to a pug.
Just thinking about saving a bit more money, are there any tax excempt cars? Iv driven a triumph dolomite before which was quite fun to drive but dont know what the fuel economy was like.

Mr Whippy - 26/4/08 at 07:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Fuel consumption on a classic Beetle is crap . Try a pug 306td even if you hate french cars they go and handle well And you should be able to get one for £500. Would offer you my XM but you wouldn't want to drive a jag ever again.
quote:

Forget the bug, they drink fuel like they have a hole in the tank, normally so slow you could run quicker, most are death traps due to rust and you won't pick up a decent one for less than £5000.

If fuel is your worry, buy a 125 bike, laugh at the £15 road tax (thats a whole year), faint when you go to the pump and fill it up with £6 after running around for a fortnight, zoom around town (they ain't slow) and best of all you don't pay for parking even in central London

speedyxjs - 26/4/08 at 07:56 PM

Sorry whippy, no bikes

Dangle_kt - 26/4/08 at 07:59 PM

216 rover coupe, they handle well, and with a 1.6 engine should be frugal enough.

With the LONG list of refusals I cant think of anything else that fits.

speedyxjs - 26/4/08 at 08:02 PM

quote:
216 rover coupe, they handle well, and with a 1.6 engine should be frugal enough.

With the LONG list of refusals I cant think of anything else that fits.

Nice one. Sorry about the refusals. Im normally quite easy going. Just fussy when it comes to cars

JoelP - 26/4/08 at 08:07 PM

quote:
Just fussy when it comes to cars

so how do you put up with a jag then?!

speedyxjs - 26/4/08 at 08:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
quote:
Just fussy when it comes to cars

so how do you put up with a jag then?!

'cos they are the perfect car
Its a shame because there are LOADS of xjs' and xj40's well in my price range but fuel consumption lets them down

Coose - 26/4/08 at 08:15 PM

Fiat Cinquecento Sporting. Next question?

zilspeed - 26/4/08 at 08:51 PM

It's amazing how unfussy you can be when the reality of having to fuel a car for significant amounts of miles hits home.

It will take some legislation change before LPG matches petrol. And even if the duty rate stayed the same, the suppliers have nothing to gain by making it the same price as petrol. That really would be cutting there own noses off. If it were the same price as petrol, nobody would want it.

Still lapping it up here.

Anyway.

My suggestion.

Audi 80 1.9 TDI.

speedyxjs - 26/4/08 at 08:57 PM

^^^ Oooh. Im liking that one as im used to bigger cars

andybod - 26/4/08 at 09:08 PM

sorry bit of a french list but all can be fun to drive
peugeot 205/309 gti
renault clio /19 16valve
citroen ax gt

DarrenW - 26/4/08 at 09:11 PM

BMW E30 320 or 325. I dont think you will find a 318is for that budget but if you do grab it.

Italian 320's are like an old shape M3 in plain clothes.

Can you get old Alfo for that money.

must be a volvo or saab that can have some simple mods to improve over time and then use engine in a 7.

mark chandler - 26/4/08 at 09:11 PM

Diesel PUG, no doubt about it.

205 will sip fuel, 306td will be very fast and sip slightly more.

405/406td will still do 40 - 50 on a run and be comfy.

Anything with a ford engine at this price will be noisy, somehow when they put the pug engine into rovers they managed to make then noisy as well, but a rover 218td is more english so worth a punt.

Regards Mark

Mr Whippy - 26/4/08 at 09:45 PM

I like jags especially the XJS, would even get the v12 if I could afford the fuel. The one thing that spoils everything is the crazy rust, beyond belief the damage they can suffer and appalling considering how much the costed.

tom_loughlin - 26/4/08 at 09:50 PM

I know you say you hate french, but I would without a doubt go for a 1.9 205 GTi. Great fun, looks are timeless, and with a careful right foot you will get near 30mpg.

TimC - 26/4/08 at 10:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Liam
pug 205 1.4 xs. Awesome!!!!!

30MPG?? You must be joking!!! There are two engine types - the earlier one is a twin carb'd oddity (had one of these) and the latter is the AXGT motor. My earlier car averaged 16mpg (but did go flat-out everywhere), although it was brilliant, Gearbox was so short that first was only required on Banzai starts.

bassett - 26/4/08 at 10:46 PM

If it was me id go for an XR2i but im probably the only one

Danozeman - 26/4/08 at 10:53 PM

Id go for the audi 80 tdi. if you dont want an estate/avant good ones can be had for your price. My estate averages 55mpg and it did 60mpg on a run to bristol and back. 90bhp and handle quite well. Runs perfect on veg if you can get it cheap enough. Might be for sale soon but will be more than 500 quid.

Failing that Puggot. Youl get an early 1.4/1.6 306 for 500 quid. Or an early dt. They go like poo of a shovel and good on fuel.
Find a bosch pumped one and you can run it on veg oil.
After all that GAS YOUR JAG.

THis would be a good buy. Probably to far away from you though.

[Edited on 26/4/08 by Danozeman]

DorsetStrider - 26/4/08 at 11:10 PM

I would seriously consider a SEAT.

German engineering at a fraction of the cost of a VW or Audi.

DorsetStrider - 26/4/08 at 11:12 PM

If you are after economic running look at the 1.9TDI diesels.

Although I'm not sure if you'll find one for sub £500 but you might get lucky.

Simon - 27/4/08 at 12:40 AM

Chuck a diesel in the Jag?

I had a Fiat 500 which was quite economical, very slow, but a right laugh.

That'd probably be well out of budget, but a 126 might not be.

Proper Mini

Rover 200/Pug 205, 306, 406 diesel.

Can't see why a bike's out of the question. CG125 for £300 and £200 for fuel/tax costs for entire course!

ATB

Simon

speedyxjs - 27/4/08 at 08:45 AM

Thanks for the replys guys. From the sounds of things, french cars arnt as bad as i thought they were (well the older ones at least ). Iv got a few months to find one but i have a better idea of what to look for.
Cheers

trogdor - 27/4/08 at 11:15 AM

I have experience of both a 106 and audi 80, both cost less than £200 and are pretty cheap to run.

I would go with the audi any day, it is a carb'd 1.8 engine and it still does 30-35 to the gallon. Cost me £150 and only needed a few bits for MOT and has been faultless. My wife uses this car and loves it to bits. Wouldn't touch anythinag other than audi now. A diesel would be much more ecnomical.

That said my little pug will do 50 mpg and is fun to drive but it has had a few issues, most recent is the speedo cable snapping which has made it fun to drive the last few weeks. Oh one of the driveshafts is making a horrilble knocking noise! The weather is looking better so may fix it today!

With £500 you could get real nice example of both.

jimmyjoebob - 27/4/08 at 03:41 PM

1600 scimitar ss1 - awesome chassis that can take far more power and light enough to be frugal on fuel.