Board logo

Tin Top - Volvo S60
Arnie - 7/6/08 at 12:53 PM

Had a problem yesterday with my Tin Top a Volvo S60. Hit a pot hole and punched a whole in the sump (think there was a stone on the road) Managed to patch it up to get home eventually. To compound the matter when I contacted the breakdown section of my insurance turned out that my breakdown cover expired in March (had thought it was renewed when I renewed my insurance but sadly did not (worth checking if yours is similar)

Need to get a new/repair sump so tried to get a Haynes manaual but it seems they do not do one for a S60 (there is for a S40 and S80 but no S60). Has anyone changed a sump on a S60? Is it straightforward/easy. What is the best sealent to use as there is no gasket?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Arnie.

[Edited on 7/6/08 by Arnie]

Volvorsport - 7/6/08 at 02:46 PM

t5d5.org

need volvo sealant , no gasket .

its easy to strip the bolts aswell , altho it is pretty straight forward .

im assuming its a 5 cylinder ? it should be pretty universal .

if you get it welded itll always leak since the oil will contaminate the weld thats in the surface of teh sump .

Arnie - 7/6/08 at 03:24 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yes it is the 5 cylinder. Do you know of any other options to welding. A new one costs in excess of £250 from the dealers or is it a case of just bite the bullet.

Thanks once again.

Arnie

Volvorsport - 7/6/08 at 03:26 PM

take it off and clean it up really good , grind out the affect area and fix with some epoxy quick steel .

a second hand one should cost too much , is it a turbo ?

Arnie - 7/6/08 at 04:13 PM

Yes it a S60 T SE 2002.

Thanks for the help will give it a go. I saw on another link and it mentioned O rings that should be replaced. Would you know if it would be necessary on this as I hope it is a straight on/off?

Regards,

Arnie.

Volvorsport - 7/6/08 at 04:30 PM

well , if theyre in bad condition replace them , but they shouldnt be , just use more sealant on that part , withut blocking anything off .

Arnie - 7/6/08 at 06:59 PM

Thanks.

Regards,

Arnie