Board logo

MX5 box on a duratec
FASTdan - 18/9/09 at 12:02 PM

Is this a practical alternative to forking out the £300 for a bellhousing to suit the type 9?

Will any of them fit, or only the latest ones?
Are they a strong box? Any other major issues?

Not sure how the prop interface would work - custom prop, half and half?

Just thinking out loud......

blakep82 - 18/9/09 at 12:04 PM

all type 9s are the same (except the length of inpput shaft on the v6 ones)

they're fairly strong, whats a power of a mx5?

matt_claydon - 18/9/09 at 12:14 PM

The Mazda box has the sweetest gearchange of all time and it's much better than a Type 9 so I'd go with that. Can't help with which ones have the right bolt pattern though I'm afraid.

Guinness - 18/9/09 at 12:20 PM

I believe it is only the latest 6 speed gearbox from the current model MX-5 that fits the duratec.

Obviously I could be well far of the mark here, so don't quote me on that.

To use older boxes, you'll need an adaptor plate.

HTH

Mike

James - 18/9/09 at 12:24 PM

I think a Duratec-T9 bellhousing is more like £200 or maybe £150 2nd hand.

But agreed that it looks like poor Flak is having a lot of trouble getting fly/clutch/etc. to fit for a reasonable price.

But the MX5 box is something Id damn like to try!

What sort of power are they up to? And are the ratios any use with our sort of diffs?

Cheers,
James

l0rd - 18/9/09 at 01:08 PM

i believe that only the latest one will fit.

D Beddows - 18/9/09 at 01:46 PM

and from the prices I've seen you wont be getting and awful lot of change from £300... but at least you will start off with a stronger box and better ratios than a type 9

James - 18/9/09 at 01:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
and from the prices I've seen you wont be getting and awful lot of change from £300... but at least you will start off with a stronger box and better ratios than a type 9

Are there clutches and the like up to decent power?

Cheers,
James

Stuart_B - 18/9/09 at 03:54 PM

hi all, does anybody got the dimsions of this box?

and will it fit in an mk tunnel?

cheers

stuart

flak monkey - 18/9/09 at 04:31 PM

It is only the very latest MX5 box which will fit as others have already said.

They usually sell secondhand for around £400, and are quite hard to find at the moment.

Also look to be quite chunky compared to a type 9.

dave1888 - 18/9/09 at 04:54 PM

What Flak said, they are a bit chunkier i have a 5 speed in mine and the gearchange is nicer than the type 9.

ss1turbo - 18/9/09 at 06:32 PM

Type 9 bellhousing here at £200, but apparently you also need their flywheel @ £200 but it allows you running the stock "Pinto" clutches - which are just about the cheapest available in uprated spec..

D Beddows - 18/9/09 at 09:03 PM

quote:

Are there clutches and the like up to decent power?

If you're tuning an MX5 engine the recommended route is some kind of forced induction and the forums are noticeably lacking in tales of woe about gearboxes exploding so they look to be easily strong enough for a n/a duratec

FASTdan - 19/9/09 at 06:23 PM

hmm so it sounds like moneywise your looking at a similar outlay either way - but the MX unit might provide the overall best solution?

what work is there in the prop interface? I've not really looked at how the prop connects on either box.

I like the fact that the MX unit means you can run standard flywheel/clutch arrangements.

Is the MX a hydraulic clutch though? I'd prefer to keep the mechanical if pos.

mconley3 - 30/9/09 at 10:36 AM

I'm in the states, but I think this applies. I lucked into a NC 6-speed cheap when the MX-5 cup racers were having problems with them and switching to the 5-speed. Mine was pulled out of a new car that was being turned into a race car. As it turned out, the 5 speed was more of a problem than the 6 and they figured out how to make the 6-speed reliable. Keep in mind, these problems occur under racing conditions, I'm not aware of any problems for street cars. Here is a good post about the NC 6-speed.

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=237737

Mark