Board logo

Front suspsension squeeking
Sprytny - 7/5/10 at 10:56 PM

I know this is a car related forum, but I saw a few motorcycle threads.

Bear with me: I have a scooter (125cc), and the front shocks make a squeeking noise when they are compressed.

What could be causing this? What checks can I make - I believe I have telescopic forks (I think that is the correct terminology.).
Thanks
Greg

Paul TigerB6 - 8/5/10 at 06:20 AM

Its a mouse i recon!!!

Could be a couple of things really. Dry seals on the forks, or the spring moving on the spring seats would be my first bets.

[Edited on 8/5/10 by Paul TigerB6]

Sprytny - 8/5/10 at 08:44 AM

Thanks for your reply...With regards to the spring moving, do I assume this would be a normal noise, or would the forks presumably need to be disassembled and lubed/ rebuilt?

speedyxjs - 8/5/10 at 08:52 AM

Do the forks have rubber bushes? If so what condition are they in?

Sprytny - 8/5/10 at 09:17 PM

yes, they have bushes. However, the shocks have a rubber cover that can only be removed if the shocks are removed. There are dust seals, and below there there are rubber bushes. However, one cover has a small hole, and I can see no oil there suggesting that there is no leak!

It doesn't cause a problem with the riding, it is just a little irritating!

Sprytny - 8/5/10 at 09:18 PM

yes, they have bushes. However, the shocks have a rubber cover that can only be removed if the shocks are removed. There are dust seals, and below there there are rubber bushes. However, one cover has a small hole, and I can see no oil there suggesting that there is no leak!

It doesn't cause a problem with the riding, it is just a little irritating!