Board logo

4 Speed gear box remote shifter
johnan - 23/5/10 at 02:41 PM

Is there a remote gear linkage still available for the Ford 4 speed xflow box, to bring the lever back a bit?

I believe there used to be one but I can't find it listed anywhere now.

A second hand one would be fine!

[Edited on 23/5/10 by johnan]

trextr7monkey - 23/5/10 at 04:50 PM

Hi John , welcome to what is the best site around - a search on here will throw up a link to Dave Andrews site and a means of making a very locost quick shifter.
Strangely I have just sent you an e mail before coming on here!

atb
Mike

prawnabie - 23/5/10 at 04:58 PM

Thats for the type 9 type 2 4 speed is totally different where the shifter exits the box.

jonrotheray - 23/5/10 at 07:27 PM

One of these???

johnan - 23/5/10 at 07:35 PM

Yes,exactly one of those!

Is it home made or bought?

Sorry, of course it is home made..just noticed the ball joint under the new gear lever!

[Edited on 23/5/10 by johnan]

TimC - 23/5/10 at 09:13 PM

You see all sorts in the Locost race paddock. Mine had a bar bolted to the original lever which then slid through a rose joint. It then had another piece of bar welded at 90 degrees at a position to suit your reach. This short piece of bar was threaded to take a gear knob; a drilled and tapped cue ball in my case. Worked a treat!

johnan - 24/5/10 at 11:01 AM

I'll have to have a go to make one, though I am afraid of ruining the existing lever in the process.
I doubt if a replacement would be easy to find.

Michael - 24/5/10 at 09:02 PM

Remember to remove reverse gate from gearbox.

I found i have to do that then fit a spacer on the old lever to bring it up otherwise as the operated the lever youd get an up and down movement as you have to loose the spring off the lever (which used to push the lever up so you did not get reverse when not required)