Board logo

V6 engine
kensprin - 23/7/10 at 09:59 PM

Hi fellas, I thinking of ripping out my 2.8 v6 cologne engine from my robin. Still pulls like a train but i'm thinking of upgrading to another v6 lighter and something producing about 200bhp.

The one I had in mind is the 2.9 scorpio cosworth. but I think this engine is heavy too.

any recommendations would be great.

P.s I would like to retain a v6, I got a thing about having an exhaust each side.

MakeEverything - 23/7/10 at 10:02 PM

Ive got a 2.9 Cosworth for sale, and itll go straight in. 230hp out of the box, and ive got the throttle bodies and inlet flanges cut to make them fit. Never got that far, as i decided to go back to renault engine and supercharge it.

See here for original post;

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=139849

[Edited on 23-7-10 by MakeEverything]

kensprin - 23/7/10 at 10:19 PM

Thanks for that. I maybe interested. Im just wondering if that will go straight onto the type 9 gearbox housing. it should do. do you know the weight of these engines?

MakeEverything - 23/7/10 at 10:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kensprin
Thanks for that. I maybe interested. Im just wondering if that will go straight onto the type 9 gearbox housing. it should do. do you know the weight of these engines?

I dont, but i have picked it up on my own, VERY briefly! - Nearly killed me mind!

Its not much heavier than the 12V. Ive had both in the garage, and neither were fitted!! The best thing about the cosworth 24V is the instant power upgrade, its the same block as the 12V and will take a type 9 if used sensibly. Everything is 2.8 capri standard, even the clutch.

[Edited on 23-7-10 by MakeEverything]

The Black Flash - 23/7/10 at 10:28 PM

Hi,

I published my notes from when I was wondering which engine to use, which might be of some use. I think I looked at every easily available v6:
http://alfadax.com/content/before/engine_choice1.htm

kensprin - 23/7/10 at 10:46 PM

Thanks for that, So you went for the alfa in the end.

Let me think on this one. cosworth 2.9 i might go for

Mr G - 24/7/10 at 01:23 AM

24v will bolt straight onto a type 9 using the 2.8 bellhousing (using a 2.8 flywheel,spigot etc). If you want to shave a small amount of weight off you could use the alloy bellhousing from a v6 4x4 although you would have to use the v6 4x4 starter as well (bolt pattern)

V6 type 9 is on its limits with a 24v lump (196ish bhp)

IIRC it's swings and roundabouts with the weight advantage as the alloy heads are beefier along with the larger plenum compared to the 12v's items.

EDIT: Where abouts in Devon are you?

Cheers

G

[Edited on 24/7/10 by Mr G]

MakeEverything - 24/7/10 at 07:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr G

The BOA is less than the BOB. My engine is a BOB which the quoted factory figure is 230bhp.

MakeEverything - 24/7/10 at 09:34 AM

Oh, and i have an ali bellhousing as well if youre interested in that as well??

iank - 24/7/10 at 10:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by The Black Flash
Hi,

I published my notes from when I was wondering which engine to use, which might be of some use. I think I looked at every easily available v6:

You missed the Mazda V6 but I'm sure clairetoo would be able to fill in your table with the correct information.

RazMan - 24/7/10 at 10:45 AM

quote:
Hi,

I didn't realise the Duratec V6 had a distributor - oh and it IS all alloy

kensprin - 24/7/10 at 04:44 PM

My G, cheers for the info, Im based in Teignmouth.

Mr G - 24/7/10 at 09:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
quote:

The BOA is less than the BOB. My engine is a BOB which the quoted factory figure is 230bhp.

Standard output figure for the BOB has always been 205-210bhp

Engine technical data can be found reposted HERE & HERE

That's why I went for a BOA with the option of just putting the BOB exhaust cams in

G

MakeEverything - 24/7/10 at 11:15 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
quote:

Standard output figure for the BOB has always been 205-210bhp

Engine technical data can be found reposted HERE & HERE

That's why I went for a BOA with the option of just putting the BOB exhaust cams in

G

Yes youre right, i stand corrected. I remember now, the BOA was 195 and the BOB 210.

Not sure where i got 230 from, possibly some calculations for my particular setup.

kensprin - 25/7/10 at 09:32 AM

I would think 210 will be enough.

MakeEverything - 25/7/10 at 03:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kensprin
I would think 210 will be enough.

Let me know if youre interested as soon as you know. I need some advance warning to get everything onto a pallet and ready for collection. Im open to negotiation on the price, so dont be afraid to ask.

The Black Flash - 25/7/10 at 05:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
quote:
Hi,

I didn't realise the Duratec V6 had a distributor - oh and it IS all alloy

I had a pdf (apparently from ford) with some technical drawings on it, which is where I got the measurements from. Maybe it was a previous generation engine? I'll have to see if I've still got a copy and double check. If you've got any specifics, let me know and I'll update the page.

Moral of the story being, don't believe everything you find on the internets!

iank - 25/7/10 at 07:21 PM

Sounds like the information you got was about the Essex V6, which did have a distributor sticking out the top and was cast iron (and very heavy).

http://www.burtonpower.com/technical_1/essex_v4_v6.aspx

Duratec is all alloy and a completely different beast.

RazMan - 25/7/10 at 08:26 PM

That's what I was thinking.
HTH
Engine Spec
Engine Spec

[Edited on 25-7-10 by RazMan]

The Black Flash - 27/7/10 at 02:42 PM

Excellent! I will make the correction next time I update.