Board logo

exhaust wrap advice
chris-p-duck - 17/9/10 at 04:37 PM

Hi all!

I am (time permitting) going to try to get the exhaust wrap on this weekend and I have trawled through some of the previous threads on here for some pointers. But I am still not really sure of any guide lines for getting a good result - I have heard that this is a bit of a nightmare job. I am going to soak it in water and have obtained some ultra thick gauntlets to avoid picking fibreglass out of my fingers for the next week. I am aiming to cover each of the headers until they poke out of the bonnet (about 12 - 14 inches). I have about 3 metres for each header. Am I best off doing really tight wraps with lots of overlap or less overlap and put two layers on?

Any hints or suggestions gratefully received......

Thanks

Chris

MakeEverything - 17/9/10 at 05:00 PM

I would go for a 50% overlap, which will give you double thickness after the first revolution.

BenB - 17/9/10 at 05:23 PM

I think it depends on the wrap you get. I didn't bother with gloves, didn't soak it, didn't do anything and it went on lovely jubbly. Smelt of buttery popcorn (yum yum) but that's about it. I didn't do a massive overlap cos I'm tight

interestedparty - 17/9/10 at 05:53 PM

It's worth spaying the manifold with water before you start as it can help stop the wrap slipping on the first couple of turns, until you get a strap on it.

RichardK - 17/9/10 at 06:38 PM

I soaked mine and as it was blue most of the dye came out Didn't tell me that did they!

Cheers

Rich

Madinventions - 18/9/10 at 12:06 AM

I wouldn't bother soaking it or wearing gloves. Just get stuck in - it's easier than you think! If the worst comes to the worst, just take it off and start again. I went for tight wraps with 50% overlap.

Be aware - it may smoke and stink when you first fire up the engine again, but this will stop after a few miles.

Good luck - and we'll need photos when you're done!

Ed.

coyoteboy - 18/9/10 at 12:48 AM

IT will smoke. Smoke like nothing on earth if it's anything like mine. I wrapped the area immediately after the turbo, right back to the backbox on my tintop. After a short motorway blat I stopped at some lights and was immediately lost in a cloud. I literally could only just make out the traffic lights and people were trying to tell me my car was on fire lol. It's fine now though!

chris-p-duck - 18/9/10 at 05:18 PM

Thanks folks! Been short of time today but got the first two headers done. Didn't bother with soaking it just went for it. Looks good am well chuffed.

thanks for the tips!

Chris