Board logo

Ford 2.5 or Jag 3.0?
Howlor - 10/1/11 at 12:13 PM

Morning All,

I am currently looking at a RWD project that I want a V6 in. I am looking for about 250hp when finished and I want it be responsive.

I am tempted to go down the route of the Jag 3L variant rather than the Ford 2.5, what do other people think? I would be looking to ditch the induction side and replace with TB's and Megasquirt.

Are there any good websites for these engines? Tuning parts etc?

Thanks,
Steve

MikeRJ - 10/1/11 at 01:00 PM

Definitely go for the larger engine, it won't be cheap to get 250 bhp from the 2.5L Duratec.

ashg - 10/1/11 at 01:45 PM

fit an alfa 3.0 v6 they can make 250bhp easily

Howlor - 10/1/11 at 01:50 PM

Ash, what needs to be done to the Alfa engine to make that kind of power?

As long as I can bolt it up to a RWD configuration then I am open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Steve

RazMan - 10/1/11 at 02:15 PM

The Ford Duratec V6 is available in 2.5 & 3.0 versions and either one will give you over 200bhp with simple mods. If you ditch the standard ecu, stick on a decent exhaust (getting rid of the cats) and a reasonable air filter even the smaller ST200 engine will give closer to 220bhp. They are not easy to tune any further however, which is why I have developed some ITBs which should push a little closer towards your 250bhp.
Parts are getting much cheaper and plentiful and you can often find complete engines for a few hundred including gearbox, although the ST220 version is still quite rare.

They are ideal for a Middy, being very light (for a V6) with bags of torque and a nice sound too

[Edited on 10-1-11 by RazMan]

rodgling - 10/1/11 at 03:16 PM

Straight 6, not a v6, but how about an E36 328? Very cheap, lightweight alloy block, tunable to about 250 bhp with remap / induction / cams. I've got one in mine (untuned at the moment, so around 200 bhp) and it's pretty nippy already. Plus it makes an awesome noise.

interestedparty - 10/1/11 at 04:18 PM

The Jaguar gets 240bhp in the standard installation, and if you get the S type variation then it is already longitudinal RWD, and has a 5 speed gearbox. Can't think why anyone would even look at the Ford version.

pdm - 10/1/11 at 04:27 PM

^ I agree 240 bhp and all set up with RWD gearbox and correct sump. - although the only thing with the gears is they seem quite long so getting a whole s-type drivetrain might be a good idea as the diff is a 4. something with the manual I think.....

MikeRJ - 10/1/11 at 04:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by interestedparty
The Jaguar gets 240bhp in the standard installation, and if you get the S type variation then it is already longitudinal RWD, and has a 5 speed gearbox. Can't think why anyone would even look at the Ford version.

Exactly. The Ford powertrain would be useful in a transverse application i.e. middy, but it seems daft going to the lengths of adapting it to RWD when a solution exists.

johnH20 - 11/1/11 at 04:25 PM

If I remember rightly the Jag version runs VCT which might be beyond the capabilities of Megasquirt if that is your intention.
Don't know much about Megasquirt so just a heads up.

speedyxjs - 11/1/11 at 04:32 PM

Does it have to be a V6? Jag V8's are same price if not cheaper than the V6's. Only down side would be finding a manual box if thats what your after.