Board logo

Type 9 gearbox oil ?
madteg - 6/2/11 at 05:40 PM

I am putting a 2.8 type 9 in locost out of a xr4i which was rebuilt but not filled up. So i dont know if it should have EP90 or ATF fluid or some other oil

rusty nuts - 6/2/11 at 05:56 PM

Neither of those IIRC you need synthetic oil for 5 speed boxes . BGH Geartech recommend Comma oil, available from most accessory shops

tomgregory2000 - 6/2/11 at 06:11 PM

I ran ATF in my type 9

blakep82 - 6/2/11 at 06:15 PM

http://www.burtonpower.com/tuning-guides/tuning-guide-pages/ford-type-9-gearbox-guide.html

there you go.

75W90 semi synthetic

bi22le - 6/2/11 at 06:58 PM

I did alot of digging around when I brought oil for my type 9. Apparently ATF works well but dont mix the two. So if it had ATF in it then put that in otherwise go as per above. I was also recommended Comma from some of the ford boys on passionford. so I brought that. By the way your diff will use a different oil.

Just dont ask me how to tell the difference!

HTH

Biz

deltron63 - 6/2/11 at 07:49 PM

75W90 semi synthetic in mine

paul@firstmotion - 17/2/11 at 12:02 AM

Hi Guys

75/90 semi synthetic gear oil Comma Duco e.t.c from your local motor factors.
Always used it and recomend it in all my reconditioned gearboxes.
Word from the wise never ever fill type 9's or MT75's with ep 80 or ep 90 as it to thick and
will give you no end of problems with syncros draging and notch crunchy shifts especially from cold

Regards
Paul
http//:firstmotion.co.uk

britishtrident - 17/2/11 at 07:06 AM

The most important things are not to use a GL5 oil and not to use a grade with viscosity thicker than 80.

Although an 80 grade GL4 was original spec oil technology has moved on and personally I would use MTF-94 which is a high tech synthetic gearbox oil developed for Landrover it will give slick gear changes when cold and less transmission drag. Carlube make a suitable MTF-94 product.

Nitrogeno25 - 1/3/12 at 02:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
The most important things are not to use a GL5 oil and not to use a grade with viscosity thicker than 80.

Although an 80 grade GL4 was original spec oil technology has moved on and personally I would use MTF-94 which is a high tech synthetic gearbox oil developed for Landrover it will give slick gear changes when cold and less transmission drag. Carlube make a suitable MTF-94 product.

Will Motul gear oil semi-synthetic 75w90 work? The fact sheet states GL4/GL5!