Board logo

Broken Stainless Exhaust Repair
Paul TigerB6 - 7/8/11 at 08:12 AM

sorry - not strictly kit car related but this site has knowledge better than any other i know of.

Anyone with experience of Stainless / Welding - could you tell me if you think this is repairable. Its the Stainless steel Janspeed exhaust off my Toyota MR2 mk1. Basically, teh welding of a bracket linking the box to the centre pipe has cracked leaving a hole of about 15mm x 5mm at the left side. The right hasnt broken through the back box at all - cracked across the surface. The broken section is resonating at 2500 - 3000rpm which is more how i noticed it really.

Any know a good Tig welder in the Wirral area at all??

Thanks
Paul

[Edited on 7/8/11 by Paul TigerB6]

will121 - 7/8/11 at 08:58 AM

You can weld stainless with normal mild steel mig wire, I welded a bracket back on my stainless steel exhaust 18 and still fine

Volvorsport - 7/8/11 at 09:35 AM

yeah , you can repair that .

some of the stainless truck exhausts weve repaired at work after cracking!!!

you might need to make some load spreaders /flitches where you reweld it to try and brace it a bit more.

Steve Hignett - 7/8/11 at 09:44 AM

Take it to Welderman, he isn't that far away from you and it will be a perfectly repaired job...

He's on holiday until 1 week tomorrow.

big_wasa - 7/8/11 at 09:46 AM

I would plate that and weld it with a mig.

Paul TigerB6 - 7/8/11 at 12:20 PM

Cheers guys

I've had a recommendation for a local fabrication company so will see what they can do when i call them tomorrow - they do ali and stainless welding anyway. Problem is - being my only car at the moment its a bit tricky taking it further afield. My father is gonna pop it along for me when he can as he's semi-retired

Oh the joys of public transport to get me to work tomorrow!!