Board logo

Duratec v6
samjc - 17/10/11 at 10:52 PM

a long way off needing to fit an upgrade engine and still learning about it all but been looking over options. Bike engine would be nice but insurance would be very steep, a played about zetec or maybe duratec hmmm me nice an quick but came across duratec v6 assuming its the mondeo st24 engine and would be noce and diffrent may sound a bit meaty too so anyone done this or have this engine in a car or kit. Come on people through in the opinions and ideas

Was even wundering what mods would be nice for a v6 nothing silly money tho.

owelly - 18/10/11 at 01:22 AM

No help from me with the V6 Duratec but I'm sure Clairetoo can tell you stuff!

ianjenn - 18/10/11 at 06:17 AM

I'm fitting a duratec v6 from an s-type at the moment.

link to write up

To me it seems to be the perfect engine for a kit car, compact, lightweight and powerful (240BHP out of the box)

samjc - 18/10/11 at 07:19 AM

Cheers guys its a fair way away.but just looking it all over, I didnt think a v6 would be light weight but then again pintos a brick. Also in the pictures did you change the jag rocker covers for ford items.

big-vee-twin - 18/10/11 at 08:21 AM

Depends how much pioneering you want to do, I have gone down the inline 4 Duratec route and to be honest enjoyed doing it -but because it is not the popular choice yet, sourcing parts and info is the hardest bit, and there is quite a bit of information out their.

It is also a very expensive way to go.

I can only think that the V6 route would be even more expensive and frustrating.

If you are going to put 240HP down the Sierra drive train you will need quite a few upgrades here too.

samjc - 18/10/11 at 11:48 AM

Currently theirs a few under £250 on the ebay, and thinking of a mt75 but may need some mods any ideas??

coozer - 18/10/11 at 11:55 AM

I think the V6 Duratec is underpowered for what it is and expensive to sort out. A V12 Duratec might fit the bill, but a bit expensive.

Plenty of lightweight V8's out there, Lexus, Merc, Audi etc. Lots of go for you money.

DIY Si - 18/10/11 at 03:03 PM

The Duratec is not the smallest of engines either. Claire has the Mazda KL 2.5l V6, and it's tiny. It's also what I'm going to put into my Sprite. 200 or so BHP with the usual kit car mods and it'll rev to 8K almost all day long. Its also cheap as is the gearbox, which is/was a stumbling point with the Duratec as it needs the Jag box.

ianjenn - 18/10/11 at 05:36 PM

These guys have it bolted to a mid engined lotus esprit via an adaptor plate. I would think an MT75 could be fitted the same way. Doesn't the mtx75 in transits have a removable bell housing.
lotus site

I have a bell housing which bolts to a type 9 bought from the company that supplies Morgan and noble. The standard type 9 would give up fairly quickly but the uprated 4x4 gearbox could be okay (with standard tail piece) and the longer input shaft would be an advantage. Mine has the caterham input shaft with quaife internals.

the engine has the standard Jag cam covers. Go for it then we can compare notes

samjc - 18/10/11 at 06:02 PM

Once storage for car n bits is sorted ill be hunting down a new engine and the v6 duratec looks like fun so ill begine research now and find od bits that ill need to know of for when it comes too it. As for the mt75box I was looking at either a transit or 4x4 as was assuming itd take better than std mt75 or my type9.

Rob Allison - 20/10/11 at 09:32 PM

Duratec V6 with an mt75 box

owelly - 20/10/11 at 10:20 PM

And a Pug V6 bolted to a type 9!

MikeRJ - 21/10/11 at 10:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by samjc
Once storage for car n bits is sorted ill be hunting down a new engine and the v6 duratec looks like fun so ill begine research now and find od bits that ill need to know of for when it comes too it. As for the mt75box I was looking at either a transit or 4x4 as was assuming itd take better than std mt75 or my type9.

The MT75 box won't bolt straight on to the V6 Duratec, you will need to make an adapter plate.

samjc - 21/10/11 at 06:03 PM

I was wundering this but some people say their are some that may fit from the bigger engines but dont know myself, have been offers a full engine set up for under £200 deliverd to my door has everything from the vehicle including key n barrel with only around 40k on the clock. Think im going to take the offer and gather parts and info slowly for it.

clairetoo - 21/10/11 at 06:49 PM

..........and a KL V6 bolted to an Mx5 gearbox

daniel mason - 21/10/11 at 07:51 PM

That Mazda v6 looks tidy!
How far forward in the chassis did you have to fit it to get the gear lever in the correct position? I looks like a massive distance from back of block to gear lever

clairetoo - 21/10/11 at 08:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
That Mazda v6 looks tidy!
How far forward in the chassis did you have to fit it to get the gear lever in the correct position? I looks like a massive distance from back of block to gear lever

I've got it in a Fury , with the gearbox mounted as far back as the chassis will allow , and the lever is about the same place as it was was with the crossflow/type nine it had before .
Its probably the angle the picture was taken from that makes it look so long .

ceebmoj - 21/10/11 at 09:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
..........and a KL V6 bolted to an Mx5 gearbox

Do you have a build diary for the KL V6 and detals of the throttle body set up you ues? are you using the standard sump?

samjc - 21/10/11 at 10:00 PM

That looks great but the duratec so far wins it for me the white std inlet manifold adds to the style any one have any measurements for the diratec, ie hieght what sump to use length withoutqcx n width with and without all auxilaries.

MikeRJ - 22/10/11 at 12:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by samjc
I was wundering this but some people say their are some that may fit from the bigger engines but dont know myself

AFAIK the Jag box is the only one that bolts up, and even then it's not completely straightforward as the sumps are different and the Jag bellhousing bolts to the sump. Have a look at this thread

samjc - 22/10/11 at 06:45 AM

Thankyou very mich for help I am going direction of spacing plate to seal spaces and get a better fixing point, would an mt75 be better as moderner inturnals and easier for parts especial a diesel transit one as my type 9 I think would go pop with the power and dont want to go high modifying its internals as its an old box.

samjc - 26/10/11 at 03:09 PM

Engines coming saterday afternoon £170 including delivery