Board logo

Dream V6 transplant
Pat_T - 29/4/12 at 12:07 PM

Just come across this (NTDWM) and whilst I am certainly more than happy with the performance of my C20XE currently. If I had the time/money I would love to attempt to fit this in the Stuart Taylor chassis!

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/acura/nsx/1313911.html

easy 300 horses with the cats removed, titanium rods as standard, and of course VTEC!

even with shipping price is not to bad for 300 horses although i'm sure that's just the tip of the iceberg as regards possible costs of required engine management, gearbox & clutch compatability and exhaust systems...!

What do you think? and what would your dream V6 be?

Patrick

rb968 - 29/4/12 at 12:23 PM

I quite fancy one the Mazda/Ford KLDE/KLZE V6 like Claire has fitted to her Fury in my MK Indy with an MX5 box....

If I kill my old ZX9 this year I might be tempted (if it fits). With throttle bodies it looks tiny but 200hp would do I reckon.

Not sure if the MK chassis is different for BEC to CEC so might not fit.

Rich

Liam - 29/4/12 at 02:26 PM

Seriously wide engine that. It's a 90 degree v6. Origins are very similar to the Honda v6 I have which barely fits a book chassis for width, but this has the dohc vtec heads so is significantly wider. Awesome though, but if you're talking dream v6 it'd have to be one of the crazy old dtm ones. 6r4 engine a close second.

Mark Allanson - 29/4/12 at 02:58 PM

I thought you had found eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

bi22le - 29/4/12 at 03:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
I thought you had found eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Thats quite a weapon in the making, and a real sleeper to.

rodgling - 29/4/12 at 04:08 PM

Hmm, I'd think you'd end up with quite a bit of extra weight with a V engine due to needing to have two exhausts. That said I really want to put a Boxster engine in a mid-engined exo-skeleton style car, I reckon it would be awesome given the low weight distribution and brilliant noise, about the right sort of power too. Quite an expensive engine though.

zilspeed - 29/4/12 at 07:36 PM

I feel increasingly drawn to the Vauxhall X30XE 3.0V6 engine.

Much less exotic than the NSX engine, obviously, but quad cam engines always look mega to me.

That you can run an Omega box, makes it quite feasible.

owelly - 29/4/12 at 07:49 PM

I'd really like to put an Alfa V6 in a crappy wobbly kit car or perhaps a Peugeot V6?........

metro6r4 - 29/4/12 at 07:55 PM

i think you would struugle to find a gearbox to make it rwd 350z engine and gearbox would be a more available and apealing option

JoelP - 29/4/12 at 08:03 PM

Audi v6 turbo, because i just picked one up today Would probably need to be rear engined due to space and gearbox though, but crazily tuneable.

ianjenn - 30/4/12 at 06:35 AM

I am happy with my choice of an s-type v6. Its nice and compact and quite light. Fitting was staright forward

With all v6 choice engines there is the issue of bell housing / gearbox and starter motor arrangement. Once this is sorted things are straight forward

link to thread with first start video

I will be taxing from Tuesday so will hopefully get to drive for the first time

DIY Si - 30/4/12 at 08:30 AM

I'm quite happy with how my Mazda V6 transplant is coming on:

Just got to finish shortening the selector and I'm ready to bolt it all together:

scutter - 30/4/12 at 09:28 AM

I'm with the Alfa V6 option as we've just started building a Haynes roadster racecar.

morcus - 1/5/12 at 03:46 AM

It's all about the straight 6, the perfect number of cyclinders in the correct alignment.

Mad Dave - 1/5/12 at 05:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
Audi v6 turbo, because i just picked one up today Would probably need to be rear engined due to space and gearbox though, but crazily tuneable.

Awesome engines. I've got an RS4 B5 with 425bhp and it's mental!

Nickp - 1/5/12 at 05:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by owelly
I'd really like to put an Alfa V6 in a crappy wobbly kit car or perhaps a Peugeot V6?........

What sort of crazy fool would even consider this?!?!

mcerd1 - 1/5/12 at 09:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dave
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP

Awesome engines. I've got an RS4 B5 with 425bhp and it's mental!

Isaw one a couple of years back getting built for 650bhp with alloy an flywheel and lots of shinny bits inside

nz_climber - 6/5/12 at 04:46 AM

Toyota 2gr-fe

3.5l
all alloy
60 degree V
200rwkw
Bolts to toyota 3sge bellhousings

omega 24 v6 - 6/5/12 at 07:46 AM

quote:

I feel increasingly drawn to the Vauxhall X30XE 3.0V6 engine.

Its been done and was at a couple of points discussed on here. A really tidy install by an Irish guy IIRC.