Board logo

All this talk of V6 engines
zilspeed - 27/10/12 at 08:47 AM

The lightweight 24V quad cam V6 seems to be a popular choice these days, and why not.
Lovely looking and lovely sounding.
I commend everyone who has chosen to fit one.

With the impending change of the F1 engine rules to 1.6 turbo engines, which are also going to be V6s, who's going to be first to turbocharge their Mazda V6 ?

owelly - 27/10/12 at 09:07 AM

My V6 has been installed so to enable a fairly simple addition. I just need a turbo to suit my budget...

zilspeed - 27/10/12 at 09:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by owelly
My V6 has been installed so to enable a fairly simple addition. I just need a turbo to suit my budget...

Ah budget.....

A novel concept.

bi22le - 27/10/12 at 09:16 AM

Is the Mazda V6 the best V6 about for kit cars? Good power to weight?

Is that the same as the probe and mondeo ones?

What about galant V6?

Chippy - 27/10/12 at 09:58 AM

Nothing light about mine, but sounds great pulls 240 bhp 250lbs torque, only problem is the 20 mpg price ticket. Cheers Ray

[img] Engine
Engine
[/img]

snapper - 27/10/12 at 10:00 AM

I did briefly think about putting the VR6 engine from my Galaxy with a dodgy autobox in
Near 200bhp and a narrow V much the size of a 4 pot twin cam

rdodger - 27/10/12 at 10:48 AM

I have rude thoughts of putting the mazda V6 in mine at some point but Supercharged!

FuryRebuild - 27/10/12 at 10:53 AM

Chippy - how the hell did you get that in there?

Very neat job.

quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
Nothing light about mine, but sounds great pulls 240 bhp 250lbs torque, only problem is the 20 mpg price ticket. Cheers Ray

[img] Engine
Engine
[/img]

clairetoo - 27/10/12 at 02:05 PM

I have thought about a turbo or two on mine - but what would I do with 500+ BHP ? ?

quote:

Is the Mazda V6 the best V6 about for kit cars? Good power to weight? Is that the same as the probe and mondeo ones?

No , its not the same engine as the Mondingo - the Mazda is a lot smaller and lighter , and although less powerfull in standard form than the Ford Duratec , will gain about 40bhp just with throttle bodies .
A turbo can push that to over 450 with the stock engine and inlet , go twin turbo's and a `built' motor , 900+ has been done

Which does kinda make you think..............................

Chippy - 27/10/12 at 02:11 PM

Couple of very long tyre levers, and a bloody big hammer. Cheers Ray

quote:
Originally posted by FuryRebuild
Chippy - how the hell did you get that in there?

Very neat job.

quote:
Originally posted by Chippy

[img] Engine
Engine
[/img]

johnH20 - 8/11/12 at 08:55 PM

Any one know the relative weights of the Rover KV6 and the Mazda KL? I seem to remember Claire posted the KL as 140 kg less alternator although I may have got that wrong. Given that a K4 is around 100kg, 140kg for a KV6 does not sound implausible. Probably easier/cheaper/lower mileage to find than a KL too. Lots of K series tuning knowledge about . Thoughts anyone?

clairetoo - 8/11/12 at 09:09 PM

I weighed a KL at 110 kgs bare - someone on Mx5nutz fitted one , and weighed both the V6 and the cast iron four pot it was replacing , and reckoned the V6 was lighter by 4kgs - both engines fully dressed .

And that was with stock cast iron flywheel and front pulley - on those two I've saved another 7 kgs !

BaileyPerformance - 9/11/12 at 05:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
I have thought about a turbo or two on mine - but what would I do with 500+ BHP ? ?

quote:

Is the Mazda V6 the best V6 about for kit cars? Good power to weight? Is that the same as the probe and mondeo ones?

No , its not the same engine as the Mondingo - the Mazda is a lot smaller and lighter , and although less powerfull in standard form than the Ford Duratec , will gain about 40bhp just with throttle bodies .
A turbo can push that to over 450 with the stock engine and inlet , go twin turbo's and a `built' motor , 900+ has been done

Which does kinda make you think..............................

We did a single turbo mazda V6 for a Irish chap a couple of years ago, stock engine, megasquirt 2, around 400BHP on low boost.

But, i would still rather have a turbo zetec any day!