Board logo

POLL: Paper Gaskets
mad4x4 - 9/11/12 at 09:13 AM

Whats the correct way to use a paper gasket

I will Clean both surfaces then :

Choose from POLL

This time the gasket is for the Timing cover and water pump , but never been totally sure what the correct "taught" procure would be if I was doing an apprenticeship... Say in the early 80's . Guess noways answer is chuck engine in bin and buy NEW.

[Edited on 9/1111/12 by mad4x4]

[Edited on 9/1111/12 by mad4x4]

rodgling - 9/11/12 at 09:19 AM

When I did my water pump, the old gasket had welded itself to the block, so I left it there and used it again on the new pump, didn't use the new gasket. Worked fine.

dhutch - 9/11/12 at 09:23 AM

Depends in the main how it was designed to be installed and exactly where on the engine it was. But typically I would grease/oil both sides and assemble. I if didnt have a gasket I would most likely use instant, apply, touch in, wait to cure, tighten to full tighness.

Daniel

mcerd1 - 9/11/12 at 09:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
Depends in the main how it was designed to be installed and exactly where on the engine it was. But typically I would grease/oil both sides and assemble. I if didnt have a gasket I would most likely use instant, apply, touch in, wait to cure, tighten to full tighness.

^^ thats what I was always taught

r1_pete - 9/11/12 at 10:17 AM

I use a very light smear of wellseal on each side, especially on alloy flanges as they will seal without tightening to the point of distortion.

[Edited on 9/11/12 by r1_pete]

Norfolkluegojnr - 9/11/12 at 10:49 AM

Dry for me depending on surfaces. If they're both clean, and free of marks, then the gasket will be enough. If not, a little gasket paste.

cliftyhanger - 9/11/12 at 11:21 AM

depends if you mean the thin paper gaskets (about the same as normal writing paper) or the slightly thicker stuff. Also depends on the surfaces being joined. Some are better tahn others...

Thin gaskets behing engine plates I smear lightly with grease or sometimes wellseal or similar if I suspect there may be an issue.
Thicker types, sometimes dry, but where the surfaces are very poor wellseal again or even a smear on instant gasket.

Varies on what I am presented with.....

pewe - 9/11/12 at 11:38 AM

As r1_pete ^^ Wellseal for my money.
Has the advantage of being non-setting so when it needs taking apart again it's simples.
Failing that a light smear of grease on both sides.
Cheers, Pewe10

coyoteboy - 9/11/12 at 01:27 PM

Never had a problem using hylomar either on both sides of a paper gasket or AS a gasket.

Chippy - 9/11/12 at 02:06 PM

I was always taught to use grease on both sides, and have always done it that manner, never had one leak yet, and I have done a few. HTH Ray

clanger - 9/11/12 at 06:17 PM

no grease or lube..........
same effect as the lube in your sump, allows the mating faces to slide against each other, ie reduces friction.
reducing friction on a joint face allows the gasket material to slip between the surfaces being sealed increasing the risk of leakage.
if you're paranoid then "glue" it with hylomar or equivalent. only grease it if you want to take it on and off a million times.

owelly - 9/11/12 at 06:47 PM

I've built dozens of engines for cars and bikes and built dozens of BIG (36" comp wheel) turbos as well as countless other gearboxes for cars, lathes, plant, etc and following instructions from James Walker ( http://www.jameswalkergroup.com/) during my apprenticeship, paper joints* need nothing but a thin smear of grease.

*Engineers call them joints. Spanner-monkeys call them gaskets!!

dhutch - 12/11/12 at 08:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by owelly*Engineers call them joints. Spanner-monkeys call them gaskets!!

Im an engineer, I call them gaskets...

:p

owelly - 12/11/12 at 09:51 AM

Because of that statement alone, I question your qualifications as an engineer!

dhutch - 12/11/12 at 11:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Because of that statement alone, I question your qualifications as an engineer!

Certificates available on demand...

mcerd1 - 12/11/12 at 12:02 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by owelly*Engineers call them joints. Spanner-monkeys call them gaskets!!

me too

one thing I've lernt since I finished uni is the names for components depend on the industry you work in

[Edited on 12/11/2012 by mcerd1]

v8kid - 12/11/12 at 12:18 PM

quote:
quote:

and me also!

Cheers!

dhutch - 12/11/12 at 12:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1One thing I've lernt since I finished uni is the names for components depend on the industry you work in

We have o-rings!

Fred W B - 12/11/12 at 05:18 PM

At my work place we manufacture 26 pressure vessels a day, with maybe 10 to 20 connection points between fittings on each one. We call them gaskets, as do the codes.

Cheers

Fred W B

owelly - 12/11/12 at 05:50 PM

You're all wrong and <<fingers in ears>> la la la, I'm not listening...<<fingers out of ears>>

dhutch - 13/11/12 at 09:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by owelly
You're all wrong and <<fingers in ears>> la la la, I'm not listening...<<fingers out of ears>>

Flange...