Board logo

z20let to type 9
andywilson - 9/1/13 at 10:33 PM

hi all

i'm planning on changing the pinto in my kit car to a z20let i've already got over next winter.
i believe this is the same block as used in the x20xev and possibly the c20xe and c20let (not 100% though)

sooo, if this is the case i know it's possible to attach it to a type 9. i was just wondering what off the shelf parts i'd need.
obviously i'll need a bellhousing from the likes of yukspeed or SBD.

i guess my question is what flywheel + clutch + clutch release mechanism options are there?

anyone done the conversion and can give me a nudge in the right direction? part numbers, diagrams, pictures etc would be brilliant.

thanks,
andy

loggyboy - 10/1/13 at 08:43 AM

SBD would be the people to ask. I'd be more concerned with breaking a type 9 pushing 200HP and lots of torques thru a T9.

fregis - 10/1/13 at 09:45 AM

x20xev and c20xe/let block not identical, but gearbox connecting the same.
fly wheel used opel, but 230 mm clutch disc i used from ford galaxy 1.9TDi, 2.0, 2.3, 2.8 (same tooth like t9 or mt75).
due to higher strength as using mt75 gearbox, cut and welded opel gearbox front
You better use t5 gearbox, but expensive and hard to find....

Paul Turner - 10/1/13 at 12:12 PM

If its a light weight car like a Seven a type 9 is fine with up to about 250 bhp. In a heavy car like the original Sierra donor there is no way it would cope with that power.

At the end of the day its revs that kill a type 9. Up to 7500 they are fine but over that you need a modified one (Quiafe Pro, Tran-X, Steve Perks) where the gears on the mainshaft run on needle rollers.

loggyboy - 10/1/13 at 12:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turner
If its a light weight car like a Seven a type 9 is fine with up to about 250 bhp. In a heavy car like the original Sierra donor there is no way it would cope with that power.

Also depends on torque though, as in addition to the weight of the car, its torque that kills gearboxes, so an NA 250hp car with 200ft/lbs, would be less likely to destroy a gearbox than a 200hp turbo with 250ft/lbs.

plentywahalla - 10/1/13 at 02:04 PM

I am building a Z20LER (Lotus Europa S engine) based scratch build with a heavy duty Quaife type 9 and a bell housing from Zukspeed.

The standard type 9 is supposedly only good for 140 bhp so you really need a heavy duty box. One problem is that the bell housing has to be modified to take the larger lay shaft bearing housing on the HD gear box.

The other problem is that the Z20LER has a dual mass flywheel which won't fit inside the bell housing. The crank / flywheel is 6 bolt pattern and the X20 / C20 is 8 bolt so it is not a straight swop.

There are lightened flywheels available for Z20 engines but they have upstand blocks on the rim which takes the clutch pressure plate to the same height as on the dual mass flywheel. It may be that the solution is to get one of those and machine the blocks down to suit.

That bit I haven't quite sorted yet. I would be keen to see any ideas you get given.

fregis - 10/1/13 at 05:16 PM

ore use early c20ne 6 bolt fly wheel (flat) - one mass and lightweight, pressure plate use from early c20xe - allow use 230mm the clutch ( clutch disk from ford galaxy)
or use x22xe (frontera) one mass fly wheel (6 bolt) and pressure plate (but he is higher and weighs more)- allow use with 240mm clutch ( clutch disk from ford trasit, sierra, scorpio..)

Due to the height, i do not know which is better

[Edited on 10/1/13 by fregis]

laptoprob - 10/1/13 at 08:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andywilson

i guess my question is what flywheel + clutch + clutch release mechanism options are there?

a

I think you are right in thinking the block is virtually the same so you need the following if that theory is correct as i have done this quite a few times during my various XE engine swaps:

Bellhousing from YUKSPEED
Clutch arm and release bearing from YUKSPEED
C20XE Early flat type flywheel from EBAY not the later POT type.
Clutch Cover plate from the same as above or car spares quoting '88 Astra 16V Mk2(but you will prob have to purchase friction plate too as they dont sell seperate these days).
Friction plate from any of the Fords that Fregis mentioned.
This setup is all fine for the std BHP from a Z20LET, however.....If you proceed to increase the boost on that setup you will no doubt be knocking on the door of 250-270bhp very quickly and that clutch plate will not hang onto that much torque/bhp.

You will then be looking at one of these....HELIX

I now have one of these and work a treat with 260hp and much more.

If the type 9 is in good fettle it will hold out with std boost levels for quite a while but as Loggyboy said the torque from your turbo will make for an ealry departure at some point.

Hope that helps

[Edited on 10/1/13 by laptoprob]

NS Dev - 14/1/13 at 08:49 PM

vauxhall omega box bolts straight on and holds 400+ hp in a 1000kg car, drag racing, we've done it.

Type 9 in standard form will last one standing start if that (in my experience, in a heavier car than a locost admittedly!)

Type 9 with quaife pro kit might last a few more, but still only rated to 275hp, and 400hp on an LET is dead easy!!

We've just seen one make 425hp on standard bottom end, stock pistons, standard cams etc, just fabricated inlet and decent exhaust manifold plus bigger turbo.

[Edited on 14/1/13 by NS Dev]

laptoprob - 14/1/13 at 10:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
vauxhall omega box bolts straight on and holds 400+ hp in a 1000kg car, drag racing, we've done it.

Type 9 in standard form will last one standing start if that (in my experience, in a heavier car than a locost admittedly!)

Type 9 with quaife pro kit might last a few more, but still only rated to 275hp, and 400hp on an LET is dead easy!!

We've just seen one make 425hp on standard bottom end, stock pistons, standard cams etc, just fabricated inlet and decent exhaust manifold plus bigger turbo.

[Edited on 14/1/13 by NS Dev]

hehe if he is taking out a Pinto(even a well tuned one) then i doubt if he is going to want ramp it straight upto 400bhp but i maybe wrong

andywilson - 17/1/13 at 05:08 PM

hi all

thanks for taking the time to reply.

sounds like i need a trip to yukspeed. only 10 minutes from my house so would be rude not to!

the omega box looks miles too wide for my tunnel so i dont thnik that's an option really

sounds like a t5 g/box would be the sensible option. i cant see me wanting more than 250bhp from it, but who knows. i think i'd better future proof the install by going for a tougher gearbox.

will report back with any progress

thanks, andy

andywilson - 7/2/13 at 04:45 PM

picked myself up a t5 gearbox from london a couple of days ago.

been in touch with SBD and they've recommened me a 6 paddle clutch and uprated clutch cover for a not too expensive price so think i'll go with that come payday.

and a vauhall to t5 bellhousing is on the way from RWD motorsport

only thing that does concern me is theres quite a bit of of side to side play in the t5 g/box input shaft. will have to investigate

will keep this thread updated

westy turbo - 13/2/13 at 03:05 PM

Also went that route ^^^,bomb proof if in good condition.