Board logo

Transmission choices for a xflow motor
trialsman - 8/12/13 at 02:29 AM

Has any one put a non ford transmission on a xflow with success? I am having a devil of a time finding a replacement tranny for my locost. It would have to be a tranny that I can find in the States. T9's are very expensive IF you can find them. I have heard that T-5's are very large in the bell housing area. Russ

rusty nuts - 8/12/13 at 09:29 AM

How about rebuilding your present transmission(Gearbox as it's known here) Burtonpowers website lists a load of parts, not the cheapest place but would give you some idea of cost

trialsman - 8/12/13 at 01:25 PM

The Gear box I have is the Ford 4 speed with integral bellhousing. I am going to put a 1600cc Kent in my Locost. From what I have heard on this forum the tranny is very weak and can't handle over 1300cc's. Plus the second gear syncro is going out and there are no parts in the US of A for it.

[Edited on 12/8/2013 by trialsman]

tbowdery - 8/12/13 at 04:34 PM

The Ford Merkur XR4Ti used to come with a T9 in the States.
$300 for a used one here...
http://www.merkur.50megs.com

Paul Turner - 8/12/13 at 05:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by trialsman
The Gear box I have is the Ford 4 speed with integral bellhousing. I am going to put a 1600cc Kent in my Locost. From what I have heard on this forum the tranny is very weak and can't handle over 1300cc's. Plus the second gear syncro is going out and there are no parts in the US of A for it.

[Edited on 12/8/2013 by trialsman]

The Type 2 gearbox is a really nice piece of kit.had one in my first car, coped with 135 bhp for several years. I know racers who used them with 150+ bhp with no real issues but they did give them frequent freshen ups.

Quaiffe do a really nice gear kit for that box, OK its strait cut but in my experience its the quietest strait cut I have ever used. Little whine in 1, 2 and 3, top is totally silent. Willeasilly cope witha 1600,mine coped with 175 bhp and slicks for several seasons.

caroline89 - 9/12/13 at 10:18 AM

What about reconstructing your present transmission Burton forces site records a burden of parts, not the shabbiest spot yet might give you some thought of expense..

trialsman - 10/12/13 at 01:52 AM

Burton does not seem to have any overhaul kits for the type 2 and only a few parts. Does anyone know where to get a complete kit including syncros?