Board logo

Engine Woes
mad4x4 - 17/4/14 at 07:22 PM

I'm back been away for 8 Months..... anyway, Engine in my car has never really run that well its a 1.8Zetec.

Car is an MK Indy.

Would I be better re-building the Zetec or puting something else in?

never been happy with performance of Car but that may be due to never quite running right.

Main issue is always emission always way to rich regardless of what I do, Also seems to bind up when hot and "dour" to start.

HC

What fits easliy to Type 9 and gives good performance or What what will fit even changing Box ?

Hellfire - 17/4/14 at 07:30 PM

Change to............

BEC

That's all........

Phil

big_wasa - 17/4/14 at 07:32 PM

Get another zetec.

What induction do you have ?

Ugg10 - 17/4/14 at 07:48 PM

St170 plus chestersportscars bike carb kit (depending on emissions requirements).

billy - 17/4/14 at 07:49 PM

Bike engine! Pah. You want to get a nice vx xe red top engine in the thing :-)
http://youtu.be/830avqyeTDs

[Edited on 17/4/14 by billy]

paulf - 17/4/14 at 07:56 PM

A 1.8 zetec should have fairly good performance, I would say that it just needs setting up correctly, if the mixture is to rich then you will loose performance and struggling to turn over when hot indicates over advanced ignition timing or poor starter motor or earth connections.I would get it on a rolling road before you decide that the engine is no good.
Paul

quote:
Originally posted by mad4x4
I'm back been away for 8 Months..... anyway, Engine in my car has never really run that well its a 1.8Zetec.

Car is an MK Indy.

Would I be better re-building the Zetec or puting something else in?

never been happy with performance of Car but that may be due to never quite running right.

Main issue is always emission always way to rich regardless of what I do, Also seems to bind up when hot and "dour" to start.

HC

What fits easliy to Type 9 and gives good performance or What what will fit even changing Box ?

Hellfire - 17/4/14 at 08:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by billy
Bike engine! Pah. You want to get a nice vx xe red top engine in the thing :-)
http://youtu.be/830avqyeTDs

Yaaawwwnnn Something not quite right there, I reckon he reached about 80mph max in that clip...

Phil

austin man - 17/4/14 at 09:45 PM

a properley sorted 1.8 will return 180 to 190 bhp I run a 1.8 silvertop in mine and more than happy

me! - 18/4/14 at 06:47 AM

I'll hazard a guess that there isn't a lot wrong with the engine, it just needs setting up correctly. What induction + management are you using?

Mine is a 2.0 zetec, GSXR600 TBs and it goes like stink. I had it mapped by Bailey Performance- the top end didn't change much from what I managed to map myself but the low end driveability and mid range torque were transformed.

What makes you think it is running rich all the time? Smell or a lambda sensor of some description?

I've read hot starting can be an issue with the sierra starter on a zetec- I use a reduction gear starter which works well. Or as mentioned, your ignition advance at cranking rpm could be out.

Sam_68 - 18/4/14 at 07:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by me!
I'll hazard a guess that there isn't a lot wrong with the engine, it just needs setting up correctly.

^^^ This.

And what makes you think that swapping to a completely different engine will solve your problems? You'll just have a whole lot of expense to put yourself right back at square one in terms of setup...

hkp57 - 18/4/14 at 07:59 AM

A visit to the scottish kit car center, Andy's bike throttle body conversion should have it singing along.

Facebook linky

scutter - 18/4/14 at 09:06 AM

Another vote for the ST170 upgrade.

Regards Dan.

mad4x4 - 18/4/14 at 01:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hkp57
A visit to the scottish kit car center, Andy's bike throttle body conversion should have it singing along.

Facebook linky

have contacted them ----- See what happens

hkp57 - 19/4/14 at 09:27 AM

Keep us posted

davidimurray - 19/4/14 at 10:07 AM

How is your engine setup? Carbs,efi?

Have you done a compression test? If that's good then prob may well be in inlet/exhaust and if you transfer to a new engine you will probably transfer the problem!

mad4x4 - 24/4/14 at 05:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mad4x4
quote:
Originally posted by hkp57

Facebook linky

have contacted them ----- See what happens

mmmm - There answer - " Change to emerald K6".......