Board logo

Espace / Laguna V6 and NG3
Wibbler - 26/5/14 at 02:51 PM

Anyone know whether the Renault Espace or Laguna V6 will fit on the NG3 transaxle? Thinking about upgrading a Midtec from a Pinto 1.6 and looking for the easiest /cheapest (surprise!) way to do this. The NG3's already in the car so looking for a more modern /powerful engine that will be easy to fit.

Cheers

John

Volvorsport - 26/5/14 at 05:58 PM

If its the old prv6, should be ok. I think the v6 did use a different gearbox, but only in ratios and strength.

Wibbler - 26/5/14 at 06:10 PM

Thanks for the info. Sound like you know your stuff. So if I'm buying a used engine should it be before a certain date to be compatible?

Volvorsport - 26/5/14 at 06:21 PM

Well check my info first....lol.

the old prv is 170 hp . The bellhousing is different to the 4 cylinder aswell. Search for trevd , he has one with a Renault 4 cyl in . Which is more tuneable especially in Turbo form.

prawnabie - 26/5/14 at 06:26 PM

Which engine are you looking at, they fitted 2 v6 engines - the Z7U in the early cars and the L7X in the laters.

Wibbler - 26/5/14 at 06:32 PM

Didn't know there were different versions, been window shopping on EBay! Which one should I be looking for?

Volvorsport - 26/5/14 at 06:37 PM

You should be shopping for the 90 degree 8v 2.8 .

the narrow angle v6 with the 4v heads is the one to pick but will not fit on your gearbox without an adapter plate

Dingz - 26/5/14 at 07:48 PM

Wouldn't the 'Easiest/cheapest' be a swap to a 2l pinto? would be 50% power upgrade for little trouble.

prawnabie - 26/5/14 at 07:49 PM

You will be looking for an Espace 2 J636 model with the 2.8. They didn't fit the 2.8 into the lagunas and later espaces that was another psa engine.

I work for Renault so let me know if you need any info if you have reg numbers etc.

Wibbler - 26/5/14 at 07:56 PM

Thanks for the offer. I may well take you up on that!

2.0 pinto is also an option but I hoping that it would be cheaper to fit a modern engine that is compatible with the NG3 gearbox and comes with decent power "built-in". I know you can tune Pinto's to decent BHP but I'm assuming that's not cheap. Happy to be told I'm wrong though!

Dingz - 27/5/14 at 08:24 AM

A more modern engine would be better, it is just that a bigger pinto is a straight swap, existing exhaust, engine mounts, no clearance suprises = cheap and easy

Wibbler - 27/5/14 at 10:17 PM

Prawnabie, is there anywhere / anyway to get a list of engines that were used by Renault (or others) with the NG3 gearbox? I bet I'm not the only one looking for easy upgrades with an existing NG3. You sound like the man in the know!

prawnabie - 27/5/14 at 10:39 PM

I will try and find out, but you will be looking at engines that are outdated, heavy and lacking in power - a much better solution would be to fit a Zetec with the appropriate midtec bellhousing - will be lighter, cheaper, more powerful and with more upgrade paths.