Board logo

Zzr1100 high pitch squeeling noise
teegray19 - 9/6/14 at 08:42 PM

New (old unknown) zzr1100 engine in the car... Ran up and down the road all gears work, engine seems ok.. Then a really loud squeeling noise apprears.. I wa thinking something on prop.. Wheels etc.. Nothing seems to be rubbing... Any suggestions!?

daviep - 9/6/14 at 09:21 PM

This is very common, you've run over a cat

Sorry
Davie

dave_424 - 9/6/14 at 09:26 PM

Does it depend of engine RPM or car speed, depress the clutch when going along and see if the squeel goes away

Guinness - 9/6/14 at 09:31 PM

Is the alternator or starter hot to the touch (hotter than the engine?).

Given they are both a couple of bolts to swap out for your existing known units, I'd start there.

teegray19 - 9/6/14 at 09:48 PM

it was literally a run up and down the road, more digging to be done tomorrow, do you think the starter could be kicking in or engaged a little bit?

il touch both tomorrow and see if they are hot!

it didn't depend on engine speed, just came and went at different speeds. Although i did drive very slow and low rpm cause it was a nasty noise!

the noise did seem to appear just after a gear change... wonder if its a clutch thing? hmm..

kj - 10/6/14 at 08:34 AM

Glad to see you got it back up and running Tee

teegray19 - 11/6/14 at 09:54 PM

Just to close this off, changed altinator but turned out to be metal dust cover on the center bearing of the prop! Took a lot of head scratching but all sorted and up and running!

Thanks for the suggestions! Not always easy sorting these little things out.

Should always stick to my motto, add more lubrication!

jossey - 12/6/14 at 07:55 AM

There is always time for lube....

Guinness - 12/6/14 at 05:27 PM

Pleased you got it sorted.