Board logo

Mazda 3 MPS 2.3T - Is it a Duratec?
mccsp - 29/7/14 at 09:22 PM

Hi,

I was wondering, is the 2.3T in the Mazda 3 MPS a turbocharged version of the 2.3 Duratec?

Does anyone know what the differences are?

If it is a Duratec, why are people not using this engine as a donor? Is the 2.3 Duratec the same externally as the 2.0? I was under the impression it was and that the stroke is longer, is this correct?

Anyone know if the Mazda 3 MPS 2.3T is any good?

Mr C - 29/7/14 at 09:35 PM

I understand its essentially a duratec good for around 265bhp and fairly tunable with minor mods to 300-330bhp without too much aggro. Mazda parts are expensive compared to ford though I'm sure parts are interchangable. £36 for a spigot bearing (£6 ford part) I'd already gone too far down the supercharged 2.0 duratec route to change. I am using the mps 6 speed transverse gearbox as I'm building a mid engined car and the transverse box from the fiesta ST is made from butter.

Not massively knowledgable on these engines, though in hindsight it would have been an easier/better/cheaper option for me. Well worth some serious thought.

beaver34 - 30/7/14 at 07:00 AM

yes its duratec,

however it is long stroke compared to the 2.0 so higher which isnt ideal for kit applications, and its rare

mccsp - 30/7/14 at 07:22 AM

It's not just a longer through crank then?

Figured they were harder to find but if the Mazda 2.3t is truly a tiro version, sounds like a good option, if it fits? Must be a catch though or more people would put them in retro fords.

beaver34 - 30/7/14 at 08:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mccsp
It's not just a longer through crank then?

Figured they were harder to find but if the Mazda 2.3t is truly a tiro version, sounds like a good option, if it fits? Must be a catch though or more people would put them in retro fords.

i presume its the same as the n/a 2.3 duratec in the smax and transit so if it is the block is higher vs the 2.0 not a massive amount but has caused issues when fitting in fiesta fwd

pjay - 30/7/14 at 01:49 PM

It may also have a balance shaft for the crank which takes power. Worth a read on the Burton website I think they mention the 2.3 there.

threadbare wallet - 30/7/14 at 05:48 PM

Use it of you can its a great engine in the mazda! Really torquey would love to use it in a seven would be incredible,you can get the mps cheaper now especially smacked up ones so look about the engines will be around.

matt5964 - 30/7/14 at 08:03 PM

On the bay

I had a 6MPS AWD and the mid range was awesome nice usable engine

[Edited on 30/7/14 by matt5964]

[Edited on 30/7/14 by matt5964]

mccsp - 1/8/14 at 08:46 PM

I am not looking to change. we were just discussing the mazda 3 mps, which got me wondering given that the duratec engine was originally mazda designed

Furyous - 1/8/14 at 09:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mccsp
If it is a Duratec, why are people not using this engine as a donor?

I haven't checked recently but when I got my Duratec there were dozens on ebay for £150-300. There were only a couple of MZR engines and they were well over £1,000, and they weren't even the turbo version.

threadbare wallet - 2/8/14 at 06:45 AM

I just think its one of the cars that didnt sell to the "masses" so isnt widely know about and didnt sell in a lot of numbers so there arent the engines about to get? When i start my build in a few years i will be using either one of theses or a type r engine in a ,in a mid engined car.