Board logo

Starting Engine After Long Lay-Up...
scootz - 28/8/14 at 08:32 PM

I recently bought a 2007 Ducati which had been laid-up for over 3 years due to an electrical issue.

I just about have all the problem corrected (and service items replaced), so will be looking to fire it up for the first time in a long time soon. How best to go about it?

Remove the plugs, squirt some oil down into the cylinders, and then turn it over on the starter for a few rotations? Or am I worrying too much... just hit the red button and hope for the best?

redturner - 28/8/14 at 08:40 PM

Remove plugs to reduce the load, crank over to get some oil pumping round the internals, refit plugs and press the go button.....

big_wasa - 28/8/14 at 08:40 PM

I would pull the plugs and fuel pump fuse and spin it over in short bursts until the oil pressure builds. That should about do it

scootz - 28/8/14 at 08:41 PM

Cheers... makes sense.

mookaloid - 28/8/14 at 09:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I recently bought a 2007 Ducati which had been laid-up for over 3 years due to an electrical issue.

mmmm jealous

scootz - 28/8/14 at 09:44 PM

Wheels244 - 28/8/14 at 10:24 PM

1st dibs when you sell it Scootz

Serious depending on price

drt - 28/8/14 at 11:54 PM

After standing that long I believe
timing belts should be changed
And valve clearance...
both a very hard job, with special tools.

but if you can and do, don't hesitate to post a few pics...

David Jenkins - 29/8/14 at 07:42 AM

I'd be tempted to take the plugs out and turn it over with the kick-starter first, just to get things moving. If it has a kick-starter, of course...

[Edited on 29/8/14 by David Jenkins]

hkp57 - 29/8/14 at 08:02 AM

I am another for being careful with the timing belt, Ducati says 2 years they should be changed.

At least check it for cracks or signs of hardening, if it look ok should be fine for a quick start to see if its running OK.

I would change the belts before putting any loads through it on the road, cheap insurance for an expensive engine.

quote:
Originally posted by drt
After standing that long I believe
timing belts should be changed
And valve clearance...
both a very hard job, with special tools.

but if you can and do, don't hesitate to post a few pics...

[Edited on 29/8/14 by hkp57]

scootz - 29/8/14 at 09:47 AM

Belts have been changed and clearances checked.

drt - 1/9/14 at 02:05 AM

Top man