Board logo

Liquid metal recommendations
bumpy - 29/5/15 at 11:31 AM

Can anyone recommend a good brand of liquid metal and can say where they used it with success.

Thanks

dave_424 - 29/5/15 at 12:38 PM

JB weld is famous in the states for fixing near enough everything. Used it myself to repair a cracked side casing on my bike engine, also used it to add some breather barbs on my rocker cover for a catch tank.

craig1410 - 29/5/15 at 12:52 PM

One cautionary note if using JB Weld, it contains steel particles and if you try to glue on something magnetic such as the magnet for a speedo pickup which needs glued to the prop, then it all goes horribly wrong... Don't ask me how I know!

Smoking Frog - 29/5/15 at 12:56 PM

Can also recommend JB weld. Used it on the plastic part of a radiator and attaching brackets to aluminium.

40inches - 29/5/15 at 01:18 PM

JB Weld, never found anything that comes near it.

theprisioner - 29/5/15 at 01:30 PM

Called welding!

bumpy - 29/5/15 at 01:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
JB Weld, never found anything that comes near it.

Its rare on a forum to find a product that is almost universally recommended.

Interesting that there are two versions - one being rapid setting

Looking at the specs it looks like the rapid setting one should be avoided at high temps.

J-B KwikWeld cures to a dark grey color, is rated at a tensile strength of 2424 PSI and will withstand temperatures up to 110ºC (230ºF).

J-B Weld - It's water-proof; petroleum-, chemical-, and acid-resistent; resists shock, vibration, and extreme temperature fluctuations, and withstands temperatures up to 500° F.

[Edited on 29/5/15 by bumpy]

[Edited on 29/5/15 by bumpy]

40inches - 29/5/15 at 02:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by theprisioner
Called welding!

Not always practical or possible, but I agree with the sentiment.

robinj66 - 29/5/15 at 08:30 PM

I used this stuff .

The sump of my Cologne V6 was holed on a journey to Brands hatch where the remaining oil fell out. Chemical; Metal was obtained on the hurry-up and chucked on to the sump as a temporary repair. It was fantastic and remained oil tight for years despite there being no special prep except for a quick wipe down of the sump with a rag.