Board logo

duratec v6 into mk3 capri??
toby916 - 26/11/15 at 12:35 AM

ok so long story short. bought my mk 3 about 5 years ago, parked her up due to the economy thing, got a diesel

now i happen to have been given a ford cougar, running 2.5 duratec. and i want to fit it to my capri. searched the web over and over, no answers.

so im asking if anyone has seen this done? i know there will be problems. probably going to use an rx8 gearbox as probably a bit much for the type 9 to handle!

fabricating etc is not a problem already realised the intake is going to be fun

any info much appreciated, will do a build thread when its all done

samjc - 26/11/15 at 01:09 AM

Unfortunatly i cannot offer help but i am very intrested to follow as i myself have a 2.5 v6 duratec to one day go into my kit. I have a rx8 gearbox that im going to sort a adapter for at some point in the near future. Intake would be good to see a bike carb setup for the grunt and appeal.

r1_pete - 26/11/15 at 07:33 AM

How about using the S Type Jaguar manual gearbox, I think its a Getrag 221.

40inches, on here, has just fitted a similar setup into his 7, and has done a fair bit of work on the inlet, he'd be worth chatting to.

MikeRJ - 26/11/15 at 11:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete

You'll also need an S-type/AJ-30 sump. Despite there common roots, there are a surprising number of differences between the 2.5L Duratec and the AJ-30 lump in the Jag.

MikeRJ - 26/11/15 at 11:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete

You'll also need an S-type/AJ-30 sump. Despite their common roots, there are a surprising number of differences between the 2.5L Duratec and the AJ-30 lump in the Jag.

40inches - 26/11/15 at 12:47 PM

The Getrag gearbox is tiny, barely enters the tunnel on a 7. A lot of the Mondeo parts will fit the AJ30, along with the X type bits.
Description
Description
Description
Description

Rob Allison - 26/11/15 at 10:05 PM

Problem with the 2.5 mondeo duratec is the water pump as in the pic.
As said the Jag 3.0 is better for the job.

Badger_McLetcher - 27/11/15 at 12:06 AM

An X-type sump should also work, and means you don't have the "chin" of an S-type sump. You'll need an S-Type oil cooler/engine mount though (a combined unit on the S-Type), unless you fabricate something yourself.
TBH a jag lump is pretty cheap and easy to get a hold of - I bought the entire car of mine for £500, and let's just say I've got a free engine and gearbox