Board logo

Zetec turbo conversion
Shooter63 - 16/1/16 at 11:02 AM

Hi all,
Long storey short, due to the change of Rops regulations this year I've decided I'm not going to sprint the car, so I can build the engine how I want. I quite like the idea of a turbocharged engine, I'm more or less settled on an exhaust manifold ( boost performance ) the turbo will either be a disco potato or a holset hx30 . My main problem is that the engine is running jenvey throttle bodies which I would like to keep, I know that jenvey make a plenum for them but at quite a cost. I'm pretty sure people have used a pulsar plenum in the past on a zetec but I'm not 100% if it was with the throttle bodies, if any of you guys can point me the right way, it would be appreciated.

Regards

Shooter

BaileyPerformance - 16/1/16 at 02:38 PM

If you can stretch to the cost of a jenvey plenum then thats the way to go, throttle bodies do give slightly better throttle response over a common plenum even with a turbo.

What engine management are you using?

If you keep the TBs you will need the ability to run hybrid / mixed mode fuelling. Alpha N (TPS) with speed density (MAP) on top.

If you switch just to a common plenum with a big single TB then just run speed density.

We have done both of the above in the past.

Cheers Dale

www.facebook.com/baileyperformance

Shooter63 - 16/1/16 at 06:10 PM

That's for the reply, dropping the thick end of a grand on a jenvey plenum sort of makes me shudder, especially as I've seen pictures of them blowing out after a back fire, hence hoping to use the pulsar plenum.
The car uses an emerald ecu, so I think I should be ok.

Shooter

coozer - 16/1/16 at 07:30 PM

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=149161

jeffw - 16/1/16 at 09:32 PM

Or this

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=201309

which shows a number of options.

Shooter63 - 10/2/16 at 09:57 PM

Just as an update, I've just picked up a complete plenum off a pulsar today, the runner stubs look fairly close to jenvey set up, when I get time I'll get a decent measuring stick out and have a good look. The idea at the moment is to mill the stubs off flush weld a plate on the bottom with the correct spacings/stud holes and blend in where necessary.

Shooter