Board logo

Copper fragments in oil filter
craig_007 - 14/10/16 at 06:12 PM

I gave the car an oil & filter change today so I decided to open up the old filter, I was shocked to find quite a lot of brass/copper fragments in the filter.

What's the thoughts on this, is this still fine to drive or am I looking at impending doom ?

teegray19 - 14/10/16 at 06:45 PM

What engine? Sounds like bits of big end bearing. Doesn't sound good!

David Jenkins - 14/10/16 at 06:55 PM

My first thought was big-end bearings - but some of mine were a grey coating on steel, so they're not only bronze in colour. Little-end bearings can be of a bronze material, can't they?

craig_007 - 14/10/16 at 07:00 PM

It's 1.8t from a seat Leon,

My thoughts were big ends/main bearings.

obfripper - 14/10/16 at 07:13 PM

Bronze coloured indicates crankshaft thrust washers - check crank endfloat , or turbo bearings - check the turbo for axial play and endfloat as both the endfloat washers and journal bearings are bronze (or brass for chinese copies).

Dave

SuperV8 - 25/10/16 at 08:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by craig_007
I gave the car an oil & filter change today so I decided to open up the old filter, I was shocked to find quite a lot of brass/copper fragments in the filter.

What's the thoughts on this, is this still fine to drive or am I looking at impending doom ?

I'm afraid this sounds bad!

I would not be driving it. I would drop the sump and investigate further. Could be a spun bearing.

What's your oil pressure like?

A guy on the V8 forum recently found brass filings/shavings in his sump and turned out to be a spun bearing due to low oil pressure due to track use and a sticky oil pressure relief valve.

Tom.