Board logo

Help with ST170 install
cliftyhanger - 21/10/16 at 09:50 AM

I am about to buy an ecu to run my st170 engine in my spitfire. Aim is for 185bhp , maybe a tad more, but don't want to get my hopes up!
The engine is currently waiting to be striped for a thorough check-over, bearings/rings/belts/gaskets etc

I have also got a set of GSXR K1-4? ITBs,which are the easily respaceable type. I intend fitting these on to the ST170 inlet.

I have the injectors with the ITBs, but none for my inlet. Would I be better off using a blacktop set of injectors firing onto the back of the valves, or the ones on the ITBs? If I use the bike ones, do I just block the ST ones off with epoxy or plugs? I think the gsxr injectors flow 220? and blacktops 200. Will that be enough?

Next, sensors. I presume if I just grab a map sensor and inlet air temp sensors off the bay, or here, they should be fine? Any advice?

Cheers
Clive

coozer - 21/10/16 at 03:16 PM

I used the gsxr TBS on mine with an Omex 600.

With the vvt set to come at 1500 rpm it made 178 on the rollers...

Next owner fixed the can with the vvt delete kit and it made 206.....

cliftyhanger - 21/10/16 at 04:00 PM

I am going to use the VVT properly, so I would be most pleased with that figure!
Did you use the gsxr injectors?

coozer - 22/10/16 at 01:47 AM

Nope, used the st injectors on the st manifold.

Rob Allison - 22/10/16 at 02:03 AM

There are not many ECU's that will control the VCT on the ST170. It is not an On/Off system. It is a closed loop control with phase sensor.

Daf - 22/10/16 at 03:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Allison
There are not many ECU's that will control the VCT on the ST170. It is not an On/Off system. It is a closed loop control with phase sensor.

Very true, trying to get an aftermarket ECU to run this properly isn't easy - not impossible but not easy or cheap!

There are kits out there like this one but I have no experience myself....

https://motorsport-electronics.co.uk/st170-vvt-control-cams-delete-vvt-pro.html

My ST170 is running the "easy" way with an Emerald ECU and a simple on off trigger for the VVT.

The Emerald ECU is a great bit of kit though, I'm using bike throttle bodies and standard ST170 injectors in the ST manifold.

[Edited on 22/10/16 by Daf]

cliftyhanger - 22/10/16 at 05:55 PM

Using the ME221 ecu. It has the same stuff as the vvt pro in it so fully controls the cam.

Think I will be using st injectors, if nothing else it will make a much neater installation.

Rob Allison - 22/10/16 at 08:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Daf
The Emerald ECU is a great bit of kit though, I'm using bike throttle bodies and standard ST170 injectors in the ST manifold.

[Edited on 22/10/16 by Daf]

You will find the cam is being advanced and retarded way too far by just switching it. I have the K6 ecu but with the VCT deteted and locked