Board logo

TB to alternator distance.
furryeggs - 11/1/17 at 08:57 PM

I've offered up my Tb's to the engine but they are very close to the alternator. I have a little bit of adjustment in the alternator bracket/position but it's still going to be a 5-6mm gap. Is this going to be to close? I will get a picture up tomorrow so you can see the issue.

I don't think they'd touch but I'd prefer to be sure.

gremlin1234 - 11/1/17 at 10:16 PM

5-6 mm should be ok, since the tb doesn't have any electronically sensitive components. if it were clearance to bodywork (rather than to other engine mounted parts) then 12-20mm should be minimum.

SJ - 12/1/17 at 08:15 AM

Main thing is to make sure the TB doesn't touch any electrical connections, particularly the main power connection, on the alternator as that would cause a short circuit.

furryeggs - 12/1/17 at 11:10 AM

The only place it could possibly touch is the edge of the Alternator to the TB connector hose clip.

furryeggs - 13/1/17 at 04:01 PM

A few pics to show the spacing/gap...

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

SJ - 13/1/17 at 05:15 PM

Are the TBs supported by anything other than the silicon hose?

If not they need to be, but if so then the gap should be fine.

I used the original bike carb inlets to mount my carbs but also made some metal brackets to support the whole carb / air filter assembly so the strain on the inlets was minimised.

Stu

Paul Turner - 18/1/17 at 05:13 PM

Simple solution. Fit a Denso alternator. Get one from a scrappy for peanuts do not buy one off e-bay or certain national suppliers, they are Chinese fakes made of cheese.

SJ - 18/1/17 at 05:17 PM

Paul makes a good point. My Denso alternator was from Ebay but for a Kubota tractor and appears to be genuine. It is tiny and works great.

Paul Turner - 18/1/17 at 05:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SJ
Paul makes a good point. My Denso alternator was from Ebay but for a Kubota tractor and appears to be genuine. It is tiny and works great.

I had 3 Denso alternators which were supplied by a national Kit Car parts supplier and manufacturer. Each failed within 30 miles and the supplier blamed the installation, wiring etc all of which i knew was fine. After an argument during which I simply said I would get Visa to refund me he changed tack and gave me my money back. Luckily for me the place was only about 3 miles from work so my costs were minimal.

i had taken photos before I returned them and before I went to another supplier I rang Denso and they were incredibly helpful. After seeing the photo's they immediately said the labels were fakes, wrong colours and they used the wording "Nippon Denso" which the company had stopped using many years previously when they started supplying parts to other than Japanese makes. He gave me some tips to look out for but it was not needed since a chap up the street who was into cars just happened to say I could have a Denso alternator for free, it was off a 1989 Daihatsu Charade GTTi.

Its still on the car about 7 years later using the exact same brackets and wiring that the supplier blamed for the failure of the fakes. Grubby but works, its coming up 28 years old.

Bought another off a scrap Daihatsu small 4 x 4 thingy, cost me £14, still on the shelf, hope it works if I ever need it.