Board logo

Is she filthy?
Christof - 15/5/17 at 03:21 PM

Just needed to get your attention

Took my Sylva Striker Crossflow Weber40s out for a shakedown and it would get to around 2,500-3000 and would struggle to accelerate beyond just a light open throttle. Would rumble and judder. On a light throttle it would rev all the way up to max, but only very slowly. Generally not much performance.

Suspicion is old fuel (4-5 months old) and dirt/rust in fuel system - is this dirty enough to cause an issue - pics below?

I'd like to change the tank for the ss version (classic mini van) but would need to modify the neck and add a vent - job for another day.

Let me know what you think.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0k657m5ncqua9ai/039%20%28Medium%29.JPG?raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mgk2k7q10t6xrxu/042%20%28Medium%29.JPG?raw=1

[Edited on 15/5/17 by Christof]

ian locostzx9rc2 - 15/5/17 at 03:45 PM

That will do it

Nickp - 15/5/17 at 04:01 PM

Yep, proper filth!!

Christof - 15/5/17 at 04:20 PM

Is this likely to cause me any carb issues? Suppose I'll find out.

bi22le - 15/5/17 at 07:03 PM

This just cracked me up. Have you seen fresh fuel?!?

Thats dirty even for oil!

Joking aside, that crud is from your tank. I am currently using fuel that is almost a year old. Granted it was in an air tight jerry can but its working fine.

Christof - 16/5/17 at 08:46 AM

Glad you enjoyed the filth

Whipped off the fuel tank, looking rather crusty inside (pics below) but it's probably 40+ years old. Don't fancy trying to revive it, so will buy a stainless steel one and modify to suit.

I'll have to cut/rotate/weld the filler neck, that should be ok, but how do people recommend that I add a breather - at the moment there is a thin copper type pipe coming out that I assume was welded(?) or brazed in. It is attached to a short piece of hose with a valve with OUT> pointing towards tank, so assume its vacuum release and not pressure release, which isn't quite right for IVA man.

Think I'll weld in a SS hose union and buy a fancy two way valve.

Crusty

pond life

neck modifications

breather close up