Board logo

Duratec alternator - Brise mounting Denso
jrod - 22/8/17 at 03:39 PM

I'm replacing the old Lucas style alternator with a smaller Denso type.

I bought one of the Brise mounting kits (from Demon tweeks as they actually sell it cheaper)
http://www.brise.co.uk/Bracket-MTK003.html

Stock photo:

My Alternator:

Note - I've actually rebuilt it to rotate the internal since this photo. This cant have changed the fitment though as the mountings are all on the 1 side of the casting.

Now for fitting it, when the bottom bolt is fitted and nipped up the gap at the top seems fairly large, I can bolt it up but it doesnt seem 'right'

I cant see that I should be using any spacers so I'm slightly confused as to the correct mounting.

I can't really test it as my pulley hasnt arrived but just wondered if anyone had used one prior.

Any Thoughts?

mackei23b - 22/8/17 at 05:36 PM

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but I think there are two castings available which mirror each other, have a look here and see what you think: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=denso+lightweight+alternator&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjOqtSMsOvVAhWHCcAKHRbQAKUQ_AUICygC &biw=1920&bih=925

[Edited on 22/8/17 by mackei23b]

jrod - 22/8/17 at 06:40 PM

From the look of all the images, the large 10mm mounting is always towards the front pulley side.

I'd be quite happy if I had the wrong alternator as It's a very easy fix.

big-vee-twin - 22/8/17 at 07:21 PM

My alternators on the other side to aviod heat from the manifold and provide clearence for the steering column. Mounted on some home made brackets.

[img] ND Alternator
ND Alternator
[/img]

[Edited on 22/8/17 by big-vee-twin]

starterman - 22/8/17 at 08:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
My alternators on the other side to aviod heat from the manifold and provide clearence for the steering column. Mounted on some home made brackets.

[img] ND Alternator
ND Alternator
[/img]

[Edited on 22/8/17 by big-vee-twin]

Just being nosey but how much did you pay for your alternator?

big-vee-twin - 22/8/17 at 09:41 PM

It was used so paid about £70 taken off a Westfield.

But you can source them on ebay from a Diahatsu Charade.

starterman - 23/8/17 at 06:21 AM

Even second hand it's too expensive

neilp1 - 23/8/17 at 11:47 AM

I made my brackets as I'm too tight to buy nice shiney ones

Description
Description

dave r - 23/8/17 at 03:38 PM

made my own 2.... low down inlet side

jrod - 23/8/17 at 05:16 PM

Brise advised top bracket is the wrong version and they are replacing for me, hopefully all sorted soon.

jrod - 24/8/17 at 04:54 PM

Bracket Arrived, Problem Solved.