Board logo

Type 9 Hydraulic Clutch Question
the_big_1 - 19/9/17 at 06:49 AM

Hi Guys,

Looking to fit an ally bell housing that uses an external hydraulic slave cylinder on my type 9 box.
Now the master cylinder seem to be a standard 0.750" bore.
What size would you go for, for the slave?
Seem to have options of:

22mm (7/8"
22.5mm (0.89"
25mm (1"

Anyone an idea of which to go for? Also, anyone know what the stroke distance is for the Type 9 clutch lever etc?

Many thanks all!!!

Angel Acevedo - 19/9/17 at 02:58 PM

Hi..
I´m going through the same.
Initial thoughts as follows.
- Bigger slave bores mean less force on the pedal, but also less travel.
- Smaller Bores mean higer Pedal Forces but bigger travel.
- Less travel acts as ON/OFF sometimes you may run out of travel before you achieve full disengagement.
- Too much travel may cause interference, this can be avoided installing pedal stops.
I was yesterday trying to figure out how much travel I need to disengage my clutch before I commit to a Slave cylinder.
I am converting a Cable clutched 302 Ford to Hydrauic, but don´t want to go Hydraulic Throwout Bearing, therefore I´ll use an external cylinder.
Hope this helps.

the_big_1 - 19/9/17 at 06:40 PM

Hi,

I am struggling to find the information, mainly the clutch lever travel.

My plan is Type 9 on my 2.0 zetec silver top, ally bell housing with hydraulic clutch external mount.

Was thinking 1.8 fly wheel. Need to find which clutch and thrust bearing to go for

coozer - 20/9/17 at 12:02 PM

I'm going for an internal concentric slave on mine. Takes away any outside bits that may interfere with chassis rails etc...

Check out rwd motorsport, they do one for a type 9. However dont be put off by the price, i bought the lot then found the slave cylinder they sent me looks very similar to the one thats sitting in the fwd gearbox i already have....

Easy to set up with a flat edge and tape measure.