Board logo

Type 9 to bellhousing - should there be a gasket?
hughpinder - 1/11/17 at 09:27 AM

Hi Chaps
I am ready to connect the bellhousing back to the type 9 box - should there be a gasket between them?
Thanks
Hugh

andyace - 1/11/17 at 09:33 AM

I believe so yes ... see http://www.burtonpower.com/bellhousing-gasket-type-e-9-gbrk704.html

hughpinder - 1/11/17 at 09:38 AM

Thanks - I feel fairly stupid as I have been trying to find a manual or exploded drawing to see if one is listed and it would have been easy to just google to see if anyone supplies one I suppose!
Regards
Hugh

Mr Whippy - 1/11/17 at 01:11 PM

really can't think of any use it would do though, the bell housing has a hole in the bottom usually to let leaking oil or water out

Angel Acevedo - 1/11/17 at 03:26 PM

I have never seen a gasket between Engine and transmission...
or between transmission and Bellhousing.
I don“t think it is needed. unless you have a hole in the transmission that you wouldn“t want to leak...

snapper - 1/11/17 at 07:04 PM

Gasket between box and bellhousing is needed because the selector rod protrudes through the gearbox into a blind hole in the bellhousing.
Oil in the box will be pushed out by the selector rod.
The hole in the bellhousing where the input shaft exits would be a route for the oil to get into the bellhousing and worse case contaminate the clutch plate.
eBay can get you a Type9 gasket kit for very little £

[Edited on 1/11/17 by snapper]

Shooter63 - 1/11/17 at 07:19 PM

One small tip, don't put gorilla snot on the gasket, if you do you can get hydraulicing ( is that a word ) of the selector rod.

Shooter

gremlin1234 - 1/11/17 at 07:45 PM

quote:
hydraulicing ( is that a word )
yep its a word, you use it, people understand it

rusty nuts - 1/11/17 at 09:08 PM

Hydraulic lock

hughpinder - 2/11/17 at 08:58 AM

Thanks chaps,
Despite the huge expense (£1.09) I have ordered the gasket from my local motor factors

Regards
Hugh