Board logo

Double Ear O hose clamps / clips - anyone else struggled?
TimC - 1/1/18 at 09:23 PM

Now I’m getting the coolant system up-to temp, I’ve identified a couple of leaks. All of them are where I’ve used Ear O clamps. I thought I’d squeezed pretty hard but obviously not. Anyone else had issue with these?

gremlin1234 - 1/1/18 at 10:03 PM

what tool did you use,? the proper one looks like good old-fashioned pincers

TimC - 1/1/18 at 11:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
what tool did you use,? the proper one looks like good old-fashioned pincers

Yes, one of those. I’m using stainless clips on large hose and it might just be that it needs more beast-mode.

nick205 - 2/1/18 at 04:50 PM

Tried them once on an old tin top, but suffered leaks. Swapped to screw type clamps in the end figuring I could nip them up tighter if need be. Worked fine - no leaks.

Daf - 2/1/18 at 05:03 PM

What type of hose is it? I've managed to get them to work no problem on some standard manufacturers hose but suffered leaks when using silicone hose.

nick205 - 2/1/18 at 05:25 PM

I was using standard OEM Peugeot coolant hoses not silicone ones.

TimC - 2/1/18 at 07:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Daf
What type of hose is it? I've managed to get them to work no problem on some standard manufacturers hose but suffered leaks when using silicone hose.

Ah. That might explain it.

Daf - 2/1/18 at 08:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TimC
quote:
Originally posted by Daf

You can always rely on a Welshman

obfripper - 2/1/18 at 08:15 PM

Mikalor supra clamps are the best i've used with silicone hoses, and will clamp strongly enough to use for exhaust pipes as well.
Iirc they go from 18mm od upwards.

Dave

TimC - 3/1/18 at 03:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Daf
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
quote:
Originally posted by Daf

You can always rely on a Welshman

Diolch.