Board logo

Db killer and emmissions
ttalps2000 - 2/1/18 at 07:12 AM

Has anyone fitted a db killer and then found that it has changd the emmissions?

Had a horrible thought over night and IVA retest is tommorow!

The emmissions test is at idle somim not expecting it to change anything other than the noise.

Thanks

Daf - 2/1/18 at 07:59 AM

Shouldn't be an issue, IVA ed my car with a db killer fitted and went through emissions. Presumably the db killer is after the cat and lambda sensor?

ttalps2000 - 2/1/18 at 08:23 AM

no cat or lambda and is on carbs, so hopefully will be allowed to make an adjustment if need be....

Daf - 2/1/18 at 08:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ttalps2000
no cat or lambda and is on carbs, so hopefully will be allowed to make an adjustment if need be....

Ahh, so you're going for the early engine, 'easy' emissions test then? I can't see the DB killer having any effect so you should be okay.

ttalps2000 - 2/1/18 at 08:57 AM

will let you know tomorrow!

russbost - 2/1/18 at 01:08 PM

With the carbs emission test I would be staggered if the db killer made any significant difference to emissions - make sure you take some form of packing to put in b4 the db killer in case it's still not quiet enough

ttalps2000 - 2/1/18 at 01:11 PM

from the sound tests I have done of before and after the DB killer in the tail pipe it dropped it by 6db. That's with a calibrated meter.

Just got the issue of the db killer being in the tail pipe and the tester not being able to get the probe completely in the exhaust, so playing safe and putting it at the manifold end instead.

I cant fail tomorrow as my 6 months is up on 4th Jan!!

coyoteboy - 2/1/18 at 07:42 PM

It'd have to make a fairly significan restriction in flow to affect cylinder fill enough to be a problem.

ttalps2000 - 3/1/18 at 09:08 PM

it certainly put the CO levels up by about 1% in the end and the HC PPM
Still made it through ok in the end

Irony - 4/1/18 at 08:20 AM

I had decibel killers in my V8 at the IVA and it literally saled through the emissions test. In fact it was so good the tester commented on it