Board logo

Octane booster or race fuel?
Jon Ison - 20/2/18 at 03:53 PM

Turbocharged engine, needs one or the other to prevent detonation when running high boost.

Which one?

nick205 - 20/2/18 at 04:17 PM

For road or track use?

Are you allowed to use race fuel on the road (I ask because I don't know)?

Jon Ison - 20/2/18 at 04:18 PM

Track, 1 lap sprints race fuel allowed.

nick205 - 20/2/18 at 04:22 PM

Thanks, that clarifies it for me.

Theshed - 20/2/18 at 05:59 PM

E85? Just discovered this stuff and intend to use it n my 15:1 compression engines. Google suggests it is a good compromise.

Jon Ison - 20/2/18 at 06:27 PM

Ethanol don't like rubber though?

adithorp - 20/2/18 at 06:53 PM

I'd think you'd get more consistent quality with race fuel.

Nickp - 20/2/18 at 07:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
I'd think you'd get more consistent quality with race fuel.

I'd think so too.

Oddified - 20/2/18 at 09:20 PM

Octane booster works ok if you only need a little bit of help, something like Millers cvl turbo works well. Some others don't seem to do much when i've tried them.

Next is water/meth injection, works very well. I have a Devils Own system on my car, controlled by the ecu over a certain boost and throttle position.

Next is race fuel, loads out there. I've tried VP C16 and Q16, C16 stops any det unless you have a way to much boost/timing/compression and the oxygenated Q16 stops any det and adds a bit of power. It does lean the mixture of slightly though so make sure it's slightly rich before using it or remap to suit. Neither are cheap.

E85 is a bit of a special case, other than eating many rubber pipes/o rings, you also need to map it specifically for E85 as it needs far more fuel flow.

Ian

Nickp - 20/2/18 at 09:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
Turbocharged engine, needs one or the other to prevent detonation when running high boost.

Which one?

Is this just in 'ludicrous mode' Jon?

Ivan - 21/2/18 at 09:06 AM

Slightly OT but I use octane booster in my standard Subaru Forester XT and it has made a huge difference - no more detonation related retardation of timing and fuel consumption has dropped from 12+ l/100km to a very consistent 10 l/100km and car is much more fun to drive. I use NF Street Octane Booster in our premium 95 octane fuel which claims to take octane up to 98 at 1 bottle per 50 liters.

JimSpencer - 21/2/18 at 12:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
Track, 1 lap sprints race fuel allowed.

Hi - I'd carefully check that, as while you can run some race fuels, it's not many - assuming it's an MSA event of course.

Fuel is meant to be to 'pump specification', so you can use some of the milder race fuels (up to Sunoco 102 level, from memory)