Board logo

Zetec RWD sump options
will121 - 6/3/18 at 08:02 PM

Planning my opinions for rwd spaceframe mini, currently run a trackday FWD zetec fiesta, what sump is necessary converting a zetec to rwd and is it necessary for oil surge or just extra ground clearance. Mini will be used for trackdays

tims31 - 6/3/18 at 08:29 PM

I just cut the steel sump down, built up on one end to create extra capacity and added baffles to stop the surge. Cheapest option compared to others which are £400 upwards.

Details in my blog

big_wasa - 6/3/18 at 08:47 PM

Money no option is the Raceline cast alloy sump. Next down the price list would be Tigers cast sump. I don’t know if Dunnel and the likes still do the modified alloy sumps, I heard not due to supply drying up. Then is the home modified ones. I’ve done a few.

furryeggs - 6/3/18 at 09:05 PM

Kitspares/GBS have their new steel sump, about £250 i think...

will121 - 6/3/18 at 09:45 PM

Current sumps I have are the all aluminium fiesta ones with the cut out at the gearbox end where the exhaust goes through, under acceleration expect oil will surge up, once modified do they still keep the two gearbox mounts?

big_wasa - 7/3/18 at 07:26 PM

No. With a t9 or an Mt75 you only get five points all above the block to mount it to a Zetec with the exception of the race line sump.

johnnybizzle1986 - 8/3/18 at 09:01 AM

I dropped my steel sump of with martin Keenan (MK Engineering) , £25 later I had a shortened sump with baffle

regards

SJ - 8/3/18 at 10:20 AM

I chopped my own [steel part of 2 piece BT sump]. Mine has no baffles but not had any oil surge issues.

ttalps2000 - 8/3/18 at 11:05 AM

The Tiger/ERA cast sump is not baffled. They even have a disclaimer that they accept no liability if you get surge etc!

I ended up with a Dunnell sump and very happy with it.

will121 - 8/3/18 at 06:13 PM

Looking at the sump depth against the gearbox bell housing is the much overall height to gain or does the gearbox become the limiting factor especially as looking at the rx8 6 speed one