Board logo

Kent FZ2002 camshafts, advise please?
Regan_M - 7/7/18 at 05:14 PM

Hi,

I have acquired a pair of ex-750mc championship silver top zetec controlled camshafts and vernier pulleys that I have been told are to Kent FZ2002 specification, what I am wondering is are new valve springs and followers required when installing these cams?

the guys I had them of insisted that he had them fitted to his silvertop engine that was completely standard apart from jetted Weber 45 carbs.

I have spent so much money on the project of late and could do without the extra expense of a head removal, full set of followers and uprated valve springs if they are not required but more of a "better to have".

My spec is GSXR 750 bodies, Megasquirt MS1, Tubular manifold

Just curious if anyone has used these with standard valve springs and followers?

Thanks

[Edited on 7/7/18 by Regan_M]

snippy - 7/7/18 at 06:55 PM

I'm using the same Kent Cams in my silver top zetec and vernier pulleys too. Never changed the springs but I did buy a new set of the hydraulic followers to help it all bed in together. It's ran fine for 10 years now. The hydraulic followers are not very expensive for a set. Don't forget to fit a new cambelt and tensioner while you're swapping it all over.

Regan_M - 7/7/18 at 07:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by snippy
I'm using the same Kent Cams in my silver top zetec and vernier pulleys too. Never changed the springs but I did buy a new set of the hydraulic followers to help it all bed in together. It's ran fine for 10 years now. The hydraulic followers are not very expensive for a set. Don't forget to fit a new cambelt and tensioner while you're swapping it all over.

Thanks for the reply,thats gives me a bit of reassurance. yes I have purchased a timing belt kit in anticipation, will look at a follower set too. Just didn't fancy going down the route of spring change / head removal etc if it wasn't absolutely necessary.

Its going on the rollers the end of this month to set up the Megasquirt so thought it would be best to install these prior as I had them for sometime.

Cheers

will121 - 8/7/18 at 02:02 PM

Don't know how the Kent cams differ from the Newman cams I have fitted but I had to grind out some aluminium from the head below the Cam lobes to give clearance, may be worth checking cams rotate fully before fitting the followers

Regan_M - 8/7/18 at 02:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by will121
Don't know how the Kent cams differ from the Newman cams I have fitted but I had to grind out some aluminium from the head below the Cam lobes to give clearance, may be worth checking cams rotate fully before fitting the followers

Funny enough I have just finished installing the cams and I did notice that just as the cam lobe comes on/off the follower it’s extremely close to the cylinder head, so much so that I went to get a sheet of paper to see if there was a gap because with the engine oil in place also it was difficult to see but I could get the paper between the cam lobe and cylinders head just before it meets the cam lobe.

Turned engine over by hand a few times and couldn’t feel any resistance or hear and noise neither could I see and contact marks on cylinder head etc after a few engine rotations.

Just fired it up and it runs, a little tappy top end when I presume is the followers, but only run it for a few minutes so didn’t give it chance to warm up etc

[Edited on 8/7/18 by Regan_M]