Board logo

Which Sierra Driveshafts?
DavidW - 16/10/18 at 08:42 PM

I currently have open 7" diff with push in shafts and drums converted to discs with bolt on brackets installed in my MK Indy.

I've just bought a Sierra 7" LSD that I'd like to fit. The new diff has bolt on flanges so I know I need new driveshafts.

Looking on eBay it seems there are different length driveshafts. Does anyone know how I work out what I need?

Does anyone have any?

Thanks

David

scimjim - 17/10/18 at 08:04 PM

On the Scimitar (7” push in with drums) you can just remove the inner CVs and stub shafts and fit bolted type CVs?

DavidW - 18/10/18 at 06:19 AM

Thanks, I have been reading a bit about making hybrid driveshafts can can't quite work out if the removal of one sliding inner joint is a problem.

The car is likely to see a fair bit of track use.

Does anyone have long term experience of how well they last?

mcerd1 - 18/10/18 at 10:27 AM

can't tell you how long they'll last - but most people that use them don't seem to have too many issues (unlike a tin-top its not like most people drive 10k+ a year in a seven)

the alternative will need you to get the bolt-on hubs, stub axles and flanges
(and I don't know if your drums will fit these either as all the sierra's with bolt-on shafts used rear discs too)
rear axle bits
rear axle bits

scimjim - 18/10/18 at 10:38 AM

Mine's been fitted for 5 years without problems. Only 6000 miles - but that does include a couple of test days at Curborough. I had the same setup on the sprint car until I picked up a Quaife.

DavidW - 18/10/18 at 11:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by scimjim
Mine's been fitted for 5 years without problems. Only 6000 miles - but that does include a couple of test days at Curborough. I had the same setup on the sprint car until I picked up a Quaife.

Thanks. How did the Viscous and Quaife units compare?

jps - 18/10/18 at 11:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
rear axle bits
rear axle bits

I was quite proud of how i'd cleaned up and painted my driveshafts, hubs and hub carrriers.... Until I saw that photo!

scimjim - 18/10/18 at 11:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DavidW
quote:

Thanks. How did the Viscous and Quaife units compare?

The Quaife seems to launch a lot better and is smoother in corners. Have you noticed that the prices have recently dropped dramatically, with the launch of several competitors?

DavidW - 18/10/18 at 12:13 PM

Prices have dropped so about £800 by the time it's fitted into my final drive unit.

If I put in a Sierra unit and can make up some driveshafts as described above I think it could be about £350?

Not sure if its worth the extra?

scimjim - 18/10/18 at 12:26 PM

New Quaife or s/h Ford - never going to win on finances alone

DavidW - 18/10/18 at 04:53 PM

quote:
New Quaife or s/h Ford - never going to win on finances alone

Haha

Probably should have said Quaife vs Sierra plus a set of wets....