Board logo

Zetec 1.8 replacement
Ian D - 31/3/19 at 08:06 PM

I'm about to strip down my drive chain which consists of a silver top Zetec connected to a Type 9 gear box.

To get down my car tax has anyone cheaply and easily replaced a 1.8 zetec with a sub 1.55 litre car engine which give similar performance. I currently have webber Alpha fuel injection.

Thanks

Ian

cliftyhanger - 31/3/19 at 08:27 PM

I think the costs involved in getting the engine size down will cost many years difference in road tax. I guess a 1.4 zetec s and stick a turbo on it? or a k series?

kingster996 - 31/3/19 at 10:13 PM

A big problem for you will be the Weber alpha injection.

Unless you happen to know anyone who can map it, you’re stuck with the map it has. To my knowledge there’s not many if any mappers left who can get into them due to the need for a special dongle that is no longer produced.

I could be wrong of course, but pretty sure that’s the case.

Schrodinger - 1/4/19 at 07:29 AM

Tiger are now able to reprogramme the later Weber Alpha give them a call.

Ugg10 - 1/4/19 at 12:11 PM

Innocent Question - can you get the emissions data on your V5 changed and if so how, would this not need a new IVA which will totally negate the saving on tax per year (as other have said, changing the engine may outweigh the cost of the tax reduction anyway) ? Be interested to know the process and may be useful for others.

SJ - 1/4/19 at 06:16 PM

Over a certain age VED is based on engine size not emissions.