Board logo

Crankshaft Question
liam.mccaffrey - 24/3/20 at 09:54 AM

Bit naughty as its not really 7 related. Is anyone aware of any production v8s with a flat plane crankshaft??

softfeet - 24/3/20 at 10:43 AM

The Lotus Type 918 engine fitted to the Esprit V8 had a flat-plane crankshaft.

coyoteboy - 24/3/20 at 10:55 AM

any ferrari I think?

No others from normal production V8s as it makes no sense for a normal production engine.

Why do you want a flat plane, out of interest?

[Edited on 24/3/20 by coyoteboy]

liam.mccaffrey - 24/3/20 at 11:00 AM

Don't need one just having a discussion in the office about don groffs fabricated v12 he made from 2 x 1jz engine.
linky
We were wondering how feasible it would be to do a v8 from 2 x inline 4s. Flat plan crank would make it easier we figured.

liam.mccaffrey - 24/3/20 at 03:01 PM

Found out that the Ford Mustang post '16 has a flat plane crank on the 5.2 Modular V8

bigrich - 24/3/20 at 03:38 PM

Tvr ajp V8 has a flat plane crank

steve m - 24/3/20 at 04:19 PM

Liam,

That link to the home built v12, amazing stuff, and it sounded superb!

steve

liam.mccaffrey - 24/3/20 at 04:23 PM

Steve
I got onto this stuff as a result of finding out about a bike engineer called Allen Millyard. He is worth a google if you haven't seen his work.
Fabri-cobbles bike engines together to make transverse 6s, huge v twins (5l) and v12s etc. Unbelievable quality of work !!

steve m - 24/3/20 at 05:18 PM

Liam

I will google Allen, sounds like an interesting guy
I really enjoy seeing stuff like this being built, way way way out of my intelligence and skill levels !!

steve

liam.mccaffrey - 24/3/20 at 05:34 PM

He has a column just starting in Classic Motorcycle Magazine on grafting an extra 2 cylinders on to some 4 cylinder 80s kawasaki bike.
He is literally cutting up the crankcase with a hacksaw!! Crazy

steve m - 24/3/20 at 06:12 PM

Just watched a couple of vids of his bikes, very nice and unusual stuff, I wouldn't even know were to start, let alone were to cut first !

coyoteboy - 25/3/20 at 04:32 PM

I had wondered about the option of using a production V8 crank with two bike barrel sets too. I kinda concluded it would be easier to mate the two output gears from the bike shafts to a layshaft - otherwise you end up with having to put spacers in for the big ends, get your bore/shaft alignment perfect, re-cam for the crank layout etc. IT's not a huge penalty to have a final drive shaft with no complex additions.

Simon - 25/3/20 at 11:07 PM

Allen Millyard is an absolute legend. No tech drawings as such, all worked out in his head and all done in his standard ish size garage

steve m - 26/3/20 at 07:04 PM

Are there any vids, of him actually doing an engine enhancement, as all ive found is the end result