Board logo

Sierra 7" diff and Quaife LSD fitment
wowblaauw - 2/6/20 at 06:08 PM

Hi all,

I have a Sierra 7" diff which I have stripped down to the pinion gear to house a Quaife ATB but for the life of me am struggling a bit with the pinion gear nut. Its a 12 point 36mm socket I think. But looking at the spline it won't fit as the 1/2" hole is not big enough. So I am wondering, am I going to cut a snap on socket costing the best part of £60 in half or has someone out there already done this and have the tool for the job? Or other ideas?

Thanks in advance

Craig

SteveWalker - 2/6/20 at 06:37 PM

Would a deeper socket help?

36mm Deep Socket

wowblaauw - 2/6/20 at 07:24 PM

Unfortunately, no. The 1/2” sq for the 1/2” socket wrench is too small. This is the part I think I’ll have to chop off and then weld a tube to the socket part etc. But thanks for your idea, much appreciated.

SJ - 3/6/20 at 10:15 AM

3/4" socket?

wowblaauw - 3/6/20 at 01:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wowblaauw
Unfortunately, no. The 1/2” sq for the 1/2” socket wrench is too small. This is the part I think I’ll have to chop off and then weld a tube to the socket part etc. But thanks for your idea, much appreciated.

Actually Steve Walker got me thinking so I found a deep 3/4" socket having measured up last night and ordered it this morning, should be with me tomorrow. Didn't know such a thing existed so big thank you to Steve Walker.

fregis - 21/11/20 at 01:01 PM

i bought typical socket, cut in middle, extended with pipe what lenght i need, welded.

edited:
dam. sorry post old, didnt notice

[Edited on 21/11/20 by fregis]

wowblaauw - 21/11/20 at 01:13 PM

No worries, all sorted now and rebuilt with new Quaife ATB. That said, found the socket I needed but cost me the whole set which I won't bore with the cost lets just say that if any other is looking to do this job I am more than happy to loan out the socket providing it comes back - did save on a whole bunch of bother especially if you're like me and cant weld for toffee.