Board logo

Fuel filter position
Mark O - 20/10/20 at 07:54 PM

Quick Q

Have a Zetec carb kit from DanST engineering - currently fitting up

Bike pump fitted. Systec fuel filter supplied. Does the filter go before or after the pump?

Many thanks

Deckman001 - 20/10/20 at 09:44 PM

I'd put a filter before the pump to stop it getting damaged, and if cheap enough another one after the pump too.

Jason

gremlin1234 - 20/10/20 at 09:54 PM

ideally a course filter before the pump, and a fine one after

nick205 - 21/10/20 at 10:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
ideally a course filter before the pump, and a fine one after

Same advice from me, filter before and after the fuel pump. Fuel pumps are usually pricey and sensitive, if they get damaged with dirt you'll be in for replacing it at far more than the cost of fitting a couple of decent fuel filters.

voucht - 21/10/20 at 05:45 PM

Before the pump will protect your pump from dirts of the fuel tank.

But after the pump it will protect your engine in case of pump failure.

Personally, and that is what we advice for racing cars, a fuel filter has to go between the pump and the engine. Because if the pump brakes, you don't want little pieces of pump gears into your carbs, or worst, your engine. It is preferable and cheaper to change the fuel pump than the carbs or the engine.

Ideally you should have an in-tank filter at the suction point to protect the pump, and an in-line fuel filter between the pump and the engine to protect the engine.

Hope that will help

[Edited on 21/10/20 by voucht]

Mr Whippy - 21/10/20 at 06:21 PM

For all the cost I'd fit a couple of big can filters, the ones I have from the Sierra are just perfect inline ones that fit onto the hose.

Mark O - 22/10/20 at 08:04 AM

Gents

Thanks for the replies. If I understand correctly, the Sytec can thing goes before the pump - makes sense - and ideally some finer filter after it. Not sure if the Sytec is course - I am assuming it is... being relatively large.