Board logo

3 parts wheels glued
belgian2b - 22/5/21 at 08:11 PM

Hello,

i started dissasembling some PLS 3 parts 13 inch to respray the centers and repolished the aluminium.

Bolts came out easily ( only one broke)

Problem, they have been glued

I can't even take the center part out.

What's the best solution ?

Warming ?

Apply force ?

they are quite old and the alloy is thin

Please help !

Gerardo

coyoteboy - 22/5/21 at 08:54 PM

Depends what they've been glued with. Heat (enough to degrade epoxy or silicone based glues) may affect your alloy temper.

Theshed - 22/5/21 at 10:03 PM

I would use heat. Most epoxies will let go at 200 degrees C or less. Most aluminium tempering is well over that. .... what could possibly go wrong....

coyoteboy - 22/5/21 at 11:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Theshed
I would use heat. Most epoxies will let go at 200 degrees C or less. Most aluminium tempering is well over that. .... what could possibly go wrong....

300C is the lowest annealing temp for Al alloys. You that sure of your heating....?

Sam_68 - 23/5/21 at 07:48 AM

Are you sure it's glue?

Normal practice is to use a smear of silicone to seal between the sections (which is obviously sticks them together, too).

You might try carefully running an old-fashioned razor blade or a fine, sharp scalpel blade between the sections, to see if that separates them.

Edited to add:
If it is silicone sealant, obviously heat won't work... you'd end up with a puddle of molten alloy and a nice, if slightly fragile, circular gasket of silicone left behind.

[Edited on 23/5/21 by Sam_68]

number-1 - 23/5/21 at 12:10 PM

As above.

I had Gotti 3 piece 73a split rims and the only way to get the slicks on were to take the wheel apart. I used silicone to help seal each piece and ensure they were air tight when re installing. They will part with a bit of effort and gentle prying .

belgian2b - 23/5/21 at 08:14 PM

Finally have them done.

WD40 all night + razor blade

Thanks for your help

Gerardo