Board logo

Fuel pump identification
Slimy38 - 9/10/23 at 07:27 AM

I was thinking about fuel pumps over the weekend. I've gone for an MX5 donor, but they have their fuel pump inside the tank, and my tank can't use it. So I need an inline pump (and filter). As ever I have returned to this blog for inspiration;

https://mx5-haynes-roadster.blogspot.com/2012/09/fuel-pump-and-filters.html

While he says it's an Ebay special, there's no other clues on what it is. Does anyone know what I can search for to find a suitable pump? Just for clarification it's a standard 1.6 MX5 engine, but as it's fuel injected I believe it needs to be a high pressure high volume pump.

Normal Google searches keep bringing back the Bosch 044 pump as the 'go to pump', and this one seems to be a cheap knockoff version by the look of it.

jelly head - 9/10/23 at 08:17 AM

Depending on fittings etc; Astra GTE fuel pumps aren't too bad a price and do the business.

Slimy38 - 9/10/23 at 08:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jelly head
Depending on fittings etc; Astra GTE fuel pumps aren't too bad a price and do the business.

Oddly enough old Vauxhalls did spring to mind, my second car was a 91 Cavalier and my brother in law is currently working with an 89 GTE. Both have fuel pumps that sit just in front of the rear wheel. But I vaguely remember they used a really unpleasant push fit connector that was a nightmare to detach. I guess that's what you're referring to with regards to fittings.

jelly head - 9/10/23 at 04:59 PM

quote:
I guess that's what you're referring to with regards to fittings.

Yup

bi22le - 10/10/23 at 09:45 AM

I have the same pump, I bought a new one (and one spare).

Search for 12v external high pressure fuel pump.

AND BUY A SPARE!! Mine failed the night before a track day!!!

Slimy38 - 10/10/23 at 11:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
I have the same pump, I bought a new one (and one spare).

Search for 12v external high pressure fuel pump.

AND BUY A SPARE!! Mine failed the night before a track day!!!

Brilliant, thanks!