Board logo

zetec breather?
RobC - 6/9/05 at 09:41 PM

can anyone shed anylight on what I am meant to do with this? cannot find any details on it and I don't understand what I am meant to do. Blank it off / refit the original part / replace it with something else. And if I do refit where does the single pipe go to?

Many thanks for any help, as I am near the end of the build and its one job I have been putting off.

big_wasa - 6/9/05 at 09:47 PM

I refited the smaller unit from a 1.8 along with the valve ,im venting this to a catch tank along with the breather on the rocker cover...

Thats the plan anyway...

RobC - 6/9/05 at 09:51 PM

very tidy.

Just wanted to check, did you buy a new unit? or reuse the original. My engine was originally an auto and the breather looks different to yours. Might get another from Ford parts.

Anyone know if these are interchangable? and best way to fit pipe?

Cheers

big_wasa - 6/9/05 at 09:57 PM

the one on mine also automatic was huge so I fitted one I had from a 1,8 manual.It looks new because I shot-blast it then sprayed it up,fitted it with ss cap screws...

warren

RobC - 6/9/05 at 10:04 PM

sorry bit dim tonight whats ss?

bob - 6/9/05 at 10:12 PM

stainless steel

RobC - 6/9/05 at 10:53 PM

duh.

Cheers buddy, off to ford parts tomorrow.

Many thanks for the help

Danozeman - 7/9/05 at 05:59 AM

Good job i read this. I nearly binned mine the other day!!

bob - 7/9/05 at 06:41 AM

Doh!!!! i had a quick look in the garage and cant find mine either,looks like its a trip to the scrappies again.

zetec - 7/9/05 at 06:47 AM

Just a note...The valve on the block is used when connected to the original inlet manifold and will normally open only when there is a negative presure. This means that when connected to a catch tank it should never open, and so in theory could be blanked off or just left unconnected. That said there is no harm in connecting it if you are fitting a tank for the camcover breather.

lsdweb - 7/9/05 at 07:10 AM

Guys

I spoke to Paul Dunnell when I was trying to sort my breather out - he recommends just blanking it off - the standard valve will do just that if you just feed it into a catch tank as it needs negative pressure to open.

I made a plate by copying the gasket and fitted that.

Regards

Wyn

bob - 7/9/05 at 08:30 AM

Thanks for the info lads i thought i had seen a pic in the photo archive somewhere with a blanking plate on.

Danozeman - 7/9/05 at 03:27 PM

Sorry to be thick. Does this mean blank the one on the block and vent the cam cover one to a tank?

bob - 7/9/05 at 05:07 PM

I robbed this pic from andy hardings archive.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=IMG_0017.gif

big_wasa - 7/9/05 at 08:35 PM

erm does that mean the rocker does the breathing for the whole motor ?

RobC - 7/9/05 at 09:05 PM

I am glad I asked now.

Cheers guys

lsdweb - 7/9/05 at 09:13 PM

Yes

The cam cover breather is, apparently, sufficient.

Wyn

big_wasa - 8/9/05 at 06:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RobC
I am glad I asked now.

Cheers guys

Im glad I replied learn somthing new every day

big_wasa - 9/9/05 at 11:16 AM

Sorted Made the cover quicker than it took me to tart up the old unit....

Aboardman - 9/9/05 at 05:49 PM

silly question.

I want to check that the breather on my zetec is not blocked.

have undone the singe bolt on the breather, but when i try to pull on the plate it starts to bend, have i missed a bolt?

or does it need a screwdriver to get off.

regards

Andrew

big_wasa - 9/9/05 at 10:33 PM

3 bolts hold it on. 1 through the middle and 2 on the backing plate.

if its blocked you can have mine,Its been tarted up.Yours for free as ive blanked it of.