Board logo

Suitable Fuel Sender...
Winston Todge - 24/10/06 at 09:46 PM

Just curious what senders people use for their cars?

A cheap and compact unit would be great!

Thanks for any input,

Chris.

chockymonster - 24/10/06 at 09:59 PM

Mine came with my gauge.
What gauge do you have as that will specify what senders will work with it.

RazMan - 24/10/06 at 09:59 PM

Landrover for me - pump & sender in one.

Winston Todge - 25/10/06 at 05:04 AM

Yeah, I'm making up a custom fuel gauge from a 32mm Lascar Voltmeter display. I can scale the sender to any range I need really, so the sender is really just a case of a known resistance when full and the same for empty.

Does anyone use the Mini ones? Deep enough for an MNR tank (which I think is a pretty standard depth).

Thanks,

Chris.

Northy - 25/10/06 at 07:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CaLviNx
Hi

Technically speaking with a little bit of knowledge and you broke out a multi meter, resistor or two and you can match any gauge to any sender unit.

Right Mark, I have a challenge for you!

Northy - 25/10/06 at 12:03 PM

Well my gauge doesn't match my sender.

When the tank is empty the gauge reads 1/4 full, when the tank is full the gauge reads less than empty!

So the thing works backwards and over about 1/4 of the scale, any idea how I can fix that?

Greengauges gauge and dip-tube type sender due to baffled tank.

Cheers,

G

nitram38 - 25/10/06 at 01:01 PM

I will not bother with a fuel sender on my next project. I have bought a V2 veypour microdash which learns your fuel consumption and has a built in fuel computer.
I can thoroughly recommend the veypour unit from www.veypor.co.uk at £240.
I bought mine new and unused from ebay at £150.
It has lots of features like drag coefficients, braking efficiency, lap timers, shift light etc built in.

rusty nuts - 25/10/06 at 05:56 PM

The Greengauges website shows incorrect fitting instructions for the lever arm tank unit . Mine read backwards at first until I turned the pot around . Could be the same with dip tube?

Northy - 25/10/06 at 08:29 PM

The dip tube is not a greengauges one though, can't remember the make. Not sure if I get get it apart either.

G