Opinions please

blakep82 - 18/1/08 at 08:49 PM

braided lines get my vote, but there's no option for it

speedyxjs - 18/1/08 at 08:51 PM

I meant braided rubber sorry

blakep82 - 18/1/08 at 09:00 PM

ah, ok, rubber it is then!

Mark Allanson - 18/1/08 at 09:02 PM

I voted metal, but actually used both. Galv steel ones though the tunnel and rubber at each end as the pickups. I used steel as the thought of a broken propshaft mincing up anything else was not a good one.

speedyxjs - 18/1/08 at 09:03 PM

Where is the best place (locost) to get fuel pipe from? I was going to take it from the donor but they were in pretty bad nick

blakep82 - 18/1/08 at 09:04 PM

^ i'd have thought that braided pipes would be more resiliant to a battering by a broken prop shaft

zetec - 18/1/08 at 11:28 PM

8mm copper from plumbers. Solder some olives on the end if fitting to rubber pipe and no chance of it coming off under pressure.

DarrenW - 19/1/08 at 12:11 AM

I used braided. No reason other than i could get some at the time i needed it. Not sure it is more resilient to being battered. If prop lets go theres not mch will stop it, hoops seem to be a good idea.

Ive also used 5/16" kunifer on previous project to good effect.

[Edited on 19/1/08 by DarrenW]

Coose - 19/1/08 at 12:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
I used steel as the thought of a broken propshaft mincing up anything else was not a good one.

Bloody hell, if you have a broken propshaft I think you should be worry about more pressing things than your fuel pipe material, such as the condition of your limbs!

907 - 19/1/08 at 08:18 AM

I've used 1/4" copper / nickel. (Kunifer)

I needed some for the clutch line, so I used up the rest of the roll for the fuel line.
Flared the end with a brake flare tool.

IMHO if you use metal it's "fit and forget."

Paul G

JB - 19/1/08 at 08:49 AM

I would vote for braided PTFE, NOT rubber.

The PTFE is more resistant to fuels especially if a recirculating injection system is used. I am not sure of the exact chemistry but when you recirculate the fuel it can attack the rubber. That is why you will not find any rubber lines in the fuel tank.

Also rubber lines allow the smell of fuel through, PTFE doesnt. This scores points with the enviromentalists!

big_wasa - 19/1/08 at 09:50 AM

5/16" (8mm) copper / nickel / Kunifer

cheap . used as brake lines on Hgv's.

snapper - 19/1/08 at 11:19 AM

8mm micro bore copper central heating stuff, you get loads for a few quid and it will take fuel injection pressure.
Even if you are on carbs it's worth running a return to the tank for later then use injection pressure hose or PTFE lined braided to connect up