Board logo

best v8 engine
oadamo - 16/3/08 at 05:34 PM

what v8 would you say is the best engine for money and power.
adam

donut - 16/3/08 at 05:36 PM

Chevvy 5.7 V8

Whats it for?

oadamo - 16/3/08 at 05:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by donut
Chevvy 5.7 V8

Whats it for?

cinquecento sporting

speedyxjs - 16/3/08 at 05:54 PM

Bedford rascal?

Paul (Notts) - 16/3/08 at 05:59 PM

You would be better of with a 3.9 Rover V8. The engine is lighter and a gearbox will be easier to find.

The Chevy may pull a cinquecento to bits!
+ It takes a lot of cooling

Just My thoughts.

Paul

twybrow - 16/3/08 at 06:00 PM

For money - RV8
For power - Powertec V8
For power/money - yank small blocks

oadamo - 16/3/08 at 06:10 PM

my mate at work has just got one as a project. i said fit a v8. he said it will not fit so we are gonna try lol.
adam

coozer - 16/3/08 at 06:19 PM

Audi V8 or Lexus??

tegwin - 16/3/08 at 06:50 PM

Audi V8.......NICE!!!

Paradoxia0 - 16/3/08 at 06:51 PM

Rover V8 - smallish, fairly light and practically bullet proof! (and you can pick them up for not too much money)

Mark

I love speed :-P - 16/3/08 at 07:48 PM

BMW 4.0 m60

Hellfire - 16/3/08 at 07:56 PM

Busa V8 2.8 litre, 455bhp. Forget the others, this is the dogs danglies

Phil

Werner Van Loock - 16/3/08 at 07:56 PM

4L toyota/lexus

Put 2 M45 eaton compressors on and you got a rocket

Thomas in the netherlands is building one, he's also a member on here

engine front view TWIN eatons
engine front view TWIN eatons

[Edited on 16/3/08 by Werner Van Loock]

beppesignori - 16/3/08 at 08:13 PM

Agree on the Lexus. Extremely well built. Race car tolerances from stock. Very tunable even in stock condition. A lot of crank, piston kits available, which will have it rev to 8,5k. Smoothest engine around. Very affordable...2 grand and you get a good LS400, so the engines must be dirt cheap. There is an Ultima on youtube with a 1000HP version..

jlparsons - 16/3/08 at 08:43 PM

BMW V8? from X5 or 5/7/8 series?

CaptainJosh - 16/3/08 at 09:57 PM

Chevy LS1

or

Ford Small Block 5.7 or 5

speedyxjs - 17/3/08 at 09:01 AM

How about a supercharged 4.2 Jag V8?
390hp standard. Easily tuned to close to 500

akumabito - 18/3/08 at 08:41 PM

I think you can't beat the RV8 if it's just about the HP/£ equation without taking other factors into account.

160Hp/£250 = 0.64HP/£

I don't know what a chevy 350 goes for these days, but unless you're in the US, they're nowhere near as cheap. There is a lot of power to be had though, but most smallblocks aren't anywhere near 300Hp in stock form.. in fact, when the emission standards getting tighter and tighter back in the 80's, combned with surging fuel prices, there were a couple variants of this engine barely producing a paltry 200Hp. That is pretty sad for a 5.7L engine... So if you go down this route, make sure you know what you're buying! Luckily, there are a lot of guides on the internet where you can check the engine number to see what it is..

nz_climber - 19/3/08 at 08:17 AM

I am going to put my vote in for the lexus v8! its really cheap down here thats for sure.. and plenty of power to be had in NA form, or even more with turbo or supercharger set up!

britishtrident - 19/3/08 at 03:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by oadamo
what v8 would you say is the best engine for money and power.
adam

Depends what you want to do with it.

thomas4age - 19/3/08 at 03:37 PM

Lexus 1uzfe.

I got 4 from the UK a year back, If I remember correctly I payed 1200 pounds for all 4 of them including starters and alternators so......

think about it.
Forged steel crank, DOHC 32V, incredible strong conrods, eutectic cast pistons 8krpm redline safe, toyota reliable, etc etc etc..... for 400 pounds.
in stock form does 308hp with a mapped ECU,
the highest output NA at the moment does 580hp+ @ 9000rpm, runs in a Boss series Reyard carbon chassis. turbo it and the output can be bizar.

as werner pointed out, I''m doing one with eaton compressors.

Grtz Thomas

akumabito - 19/3/08 at 04:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by thomas4age
Lexus 1uzfe.

I got 4 from the UK a year back, If I remember correctly I payed 1200 pounds for all 4 of them including starters and alternators so......

think about it.
Forged steel crank, DOHC 32V, incredible strong conrods, eutectic cast pistons 8krpm redline safe, toyota reliable, etc etc etc..... for 400 pounds.
in stock form does 308hp with a mapped ECU,
the highest output NA at the moment does 580hp+ @ 9000rpm, runs in a Boss series Reyard carbon chassis. turbo it and the output can be bizar.

as werner pointed out, I''m doing one with eaton compressors.

Grtz Thomas

Damn, that does sound pretty impressive..

bob - 19/3/08 at 04:21 PM

Nice little light punchy V8 from the sixties.

Daimler V8

aerosam - 19/3/08 at 11:16 PM

another vote for the BMW M60 engine. Although I am a little biased as I am using the, ahem, smaller, 3.0L 218bhp lump for my locost build.

Volvorsport - 19/3/08 at 11:41 PM

hmm , ive tried to keep my nose out .

volvo xc90/s80 v8 - 330 hp from 4.4 litres .

cant be all that bad if lee noble is using it in turbo form to power his new motor .

its florida smog friendly for the next few years , designed by yamaha , and very compact .

oh and about 5 grand from volvo !!!

[Edited on 19/3/08 by Volvorsport]

thomas4age - 21/3/08 at 10:22 AM

the lexus desinged 1uzfe is very much like the volvo engine, yamaha was involved in that to.... the lotus link has been to yamaha via toyota/lexus for a few yars now

wouldn't be surprized if there's a link between the too.

nevertheless that engine is also very nice indeed volvosport.

I would like to point out that the 1uzfe I have is the 1992 1 gen and they have evolved wuite a bit since, they are now availeble upto 4.7L with VVT.... 5.2L hybrid is in the make

Grtz Thomas

SPYDER - 21/3/08 at 06:39 PM

Aerosam has the right idea. 3 litre BMW. Over 200hp. Question for Aerosam,... did it come with a manual box or where did you get one to suit?
Geoff

NS Dev - 21/3/08 at 11:10 PM

not familiar with the volvo lump that volvorsport refers to, that does sound good.

Apart from that, i'm afraid that the chevy beats all comers.

The Ls1 is lighter than ANY of the 4 cam v8's, and actually lighter than the rover when dressed as well!!

it is cheapish and makes 375hp as std

For tuning further, go back a step to the last of the line high output iron block smallblock chevys, they are 325hp ish stock and on a £2k budget can make 400hp.

BIG problem with the 4 cam v8s is the sheer size of the bloody things.

I have a BMW 740 v8 now and I have been looking for some time at putting another one on a manual box into an old E28 5 series, but its soooo tight (considering they have a big engine bay!!) that any maintainance is impossible.

in the 7 series its stupidly tight to work on.

[Edited on 21/3/08 by NS Dev]

Doug68 - 22/3/08 at 01:25 PM

The 1UZ-FE is basically a 700mm cube.
Which I don't think is overly big.
With the fruit on it weighs ~200kg.

The prices for them is Australia are stupidly cheap at A$1400 delivered for mine.
The only drama over here is getting them through emissions in a kit car.

Who's to say where engines really come from today? The history of the things is so convoluted and the marketing BS on top so thick its hard to tell who really did what. For example I know Ricardo down in sunny Sussex did work on the 3rd gen of the Toyota V8 family.

MK Charlie - 22/3/08 at 06:51 PM

There's a company near me that build race cars and engines etc... and they have just made a v8 using 2 R1 engines and apparantly that is 600bhp!
Would suggest that it isn't very locost though.

thomas4age - 23/3/08 at 06:32 AM

NS dev, not to be rude but bang for buck a 1uzfe beats any SBC or SBF on the block.

on that buget you're talking 600hp+ 1uzfe have been build. which are lighter than anything chevy or ford.

about the size, have you ever seen one in the flesh? it's a tiny little thing on the outside. nothing wide like a BMW or VAG.
measurement piccies in my ablum.

Grtz Thomas

Doug68 - 23/3/08 at 09:06 AM

From what I can find out LS1 weigh 390lb (177kg) the invoiced shipping weight on my 1UZFE was 220kg including the pallet, complete induction system, stock exhaust manifolds & cats. So I doubt there's stuff all difference between the two once fitted in the vehicle.

A quick look reveals 1UZ's for for less than 700 quid what other modern V8 can be bought for that sort of money?

Bike based V8's may look good on the bog wall but they cost a fortune. Unless you have a specific racing class or some such that you're building an engine to fit in then it's just pee & wind to bring them up as serious options for a road car.

aerosam - 23/3/08 at 09:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SPYDER
Aerosam has the right idea. 3 litre BMW. Over 200hp. Question for Aerosam,... did it come with a manual box or where did you get one to suit?
Geoff

manual box came with it dude. It's a 1993 530i I don't know if they fitted the manual box to anythiong else. The bigger 4 litre only ever had the auto box. Hope this helps. Sam.

C10CoryM - 23/3/08 at 04:42 PM

The "best" V8 here for the money is definitely the LSx engines. You can find a decent LS1 with a nice 6spd trans for as cheap as any other good V8. Comes stock with 400bhp (usually around 320rwhp) and the potential is huge. If you dont mind the weight, you can get LQ4 engine for less (iron block, can handle major power).

thomas4age - 26/3/08 at 07:38 AM

all depends on location!

I can get BMW V12's cheaper than a 1uzfe in holland.

but in the UK it's the other way round..

USA and CAN will have that on the domestic engines also.... hence LS1

over here 1uz.

Grtz Thomas

tobym - 10/7/08 at 07:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Doug68
From what I can find out LS1 weigh 390lb (177kg) the invoiced shipping weight on my 1UZFE was 220kg including the pallet, complete induction system, stock exhaust manifolds & cats. So I doubt there's stuff all difference between the two once fitted in the vehicle.

A quick look reveals 1UZ's for for less than 700 quid what other modern V8 can be bought for that sort of money?

Bike based V8's may look good on the bog wall but they cost a fortune. Unless you have a specific racing class or some such that you're building an engine to fit in then it's just pee & wind to bring them up as serious options for a road car.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, what front-engine RWD manual gearbox options, are there, available for the 1UZFE ?

Cheers, Toby

[Edited on 10/7/08 by tobym]

mr henderson - 10/7/08 at 11:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by tobym

Sorry to resurrect this thread, what front-engine RWD manual gearbox options, are there, available for the 1UZFE ?

Cheers, Toby

As always, the devil is in the details. And details like 'which gearbox can I use?' are details than can make a cheap engine into an expensive package.

One of the problems with bigger, modern engines is that the people who can afford to buy them in the new cars they are intended for are not interested in pushing on clutch pedals and operating gearlevers every time a gear change is called for.

The cars into which these sorts of engines are fitted, even if they are RWD which many are not, hardly ever have manual gearboxes fitted even if they are an option.

Personally I think the way forward is to use an automatic gearbox. They are very suitable for lightweight sportscars. The only problem there is that many (most even) are controlled by the engine ECU. Still, if that can be overcome then a jolly nice car could be built, at a good price, using this type of engine and with an auto box (most of them have some kind of manual over-ride too)
John

nz_climber - 12/7/08 at 04:52 AM

The 1UZ can be fitted to a few gearboxes, toyota w58's and the supra gearbox (not sure of the code) but down here can buy bell housings for both..

thomas4age - 13/7/08 at 11:17 PM

toyota Supra W58 or W55 boxes
Ford BW T5
Tremec T5
various 4wd toyota boxes
Renault UN1
Porsche G50
VW Bus box

+ others all bolt to the 1uz with addition of an adaptorplate or bellhousing

mr henderson - 14/7/08 at 07:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by thomas4age
toyota Supra W58 or W55 boxes
Ford BW T5
Tremec T5
various 4wd toyota boxes
Renault UN1
Porsche G50
VW Bus box

+ others all bolt to the 1uz with addition of an adaptorplate or bellhousing

Of course! the question is where to get or how to make the required adaptor plate or bellhousing!

John

Barry Ashcroft - 18/7/08 at 08:27 PM

Big V8 in a small fiat sounds like my type of fun

tobym - 19/7/08 at 06:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Barry Ashcroft
Big V8 in a small fiat sounds like my type of fun

such as a barchetta? are they RWD?

I'm thinking about MX5/MR2, possibly

[Edited on 19/7/08 by tobym]

cymtriks - 22/7/08 at 09:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Paul (Notts)
You would be better of with a 3.9 Rover V8. The engine is lighter and a gearbox will be easier to find.

The Chevy may pull a cinquecento to bits!
+ It takes a lot of cooling

Just My thoughts.

Paul

Lighter than what?

The RV8 is only light when compared to the massive iron blocked stuff that was around when it was first put into service. Compared to modern V8s it is actually a very heavy engine.

A full dressed RV8 weighs well over 400lbs, an LS1 weighs circa 450lbs and has an extra 1.9 liters over a RV8 3.9.

aerosam - 24/7/08 at 07:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SPYDER
Geoff

Sorry took me so long to reply to this but it came with a manual box in the car - an E34 530i I don't think they fitted the manual to the 4.0 as 280bhp may have been too much for it.

NS Dev - 24/7/08 at 08:47 AM

Just to say it again.......CHEVY

You won't regret it.

Whatever anybody else says, use a chevy.

I used to argue the case with my mate at ultima over the various lexus, audi, BMW etc v8's....................

Then I came to my senses when I saw them side by side, the chevy LS engines (and the old small blocks) are TINY by comparison to the euro and jap vee engines.

No contest, sorry.

If you break something on a chevy (which you won't) then its pence to replace. On a jap or euro v8 its new engine time

thomas4age - 24/7/08 at 10:22 AM

since when are chevy LSx parts cheap???

+ you won't break a Lexus engine also
+ the lexus engine is about 5 times cheaper to buy in the first place
+ I haven't seen a chevy which is tuned to 1uzfe territory make emmissions test
+ steel block chevy's is a deffinate NO GO it's 2008 remember.....

nevertheless if my wallet would let me I'd have an LS2 rather than a 1uz. 550bhp on just a cam and omex sounds good

compare a 1uz to an ls1 (not the later versions)
6 bolt mains, steel forged crank shaft and a redline of about 8000RPM which is well into chevy LS7 figures for a fraction of the cost. and when something in an ls7 breaks..... time to get a new mortage.
all titainium stuff in there to do what a 1uz can do on steel internals.

well build NA 1uz also thumb out near 600bhp on 4 liters.

grtz Thomas