Board logo

Volvo Transaxle
trogdor - 1/5/08 at 08:21 PM

Hi Just a Quick question,

Am sure i read somewhere that some models of volvo have a longditudinal transaxle like audi or some renaults. Is this true? if so what models have this type of gearbox and are they relatively strong, ie would they cope with a mondeo v6?

cheers

mark chandler - 1/5/08 at 08:26 PM

If you are talking about the ones with engine in front, gearbox on rear axle I think these were on some 360's, however you then have a torque tube to the frontso not easy to swap engines over.

If you just want a transaxle audi is the way to go, very cheap and strong

trogdor - 1/5/08 at 08:34 PM

ah i didn't realise they were like a porsche 924 944 etc.

Thought they were the same as audi, was hoping they would be strong and able to get the gearbox abit cheaper.

To be honest i am getting really tempted to put an audi engine in there too. A 5 cyl sounds pretty nice and are fairly cheap!

don't know though, whats the volvo 5 cyl turbo like and is it expensive? avaliblilty etc?

Ringius - 1/5/08 at 08:44 PM

Hi!

Pretty sure you will be able to find some info about the volvo 5 cyl here as well. Apparently (according to other thread on this forum), it is the same engine as in the ford focus ST.

cheers!

[Edited on 1/5/08 by Ringius]

mark chandler - 1/5/08 at 09:02 PM

V6 Audi and gearbox, sorted then!

Or how about this

trogdor - 2/5/08 at 09:57 AM

ooh a v8 is tempting! that would probally fit too! But i do have a soft spot for the 5cyl 20V audi engine. They are pretty simple to wire up and set up etc then can add mapable injection and turbo etc at a later date. Though i guess they are pretty heavy and might be slightly to long to fit.