Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Renault R8 project
Alez

posted on 27/3/21 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Renault R8 project

Hi, all.

I'm having thoughts of replacing the power train on a Renault R8. Originally this car has a small engine longitudinally mounted at the rear. I'd like a modern engine, mid mounted longitudinally, and small. The Subaru 4 pot boxer seems the way to go, do you agree?

I see that this engine has been configured like that before, is that normally mated to a particular transaxle all the time? I mean a default choice like the G50 is used all the time for a small block Chevy, or the Renault UN1 goes well with the Rover V8, etc.

On the other hand, I'm attracted to the idea of keeping the French theme and mount something from Renault, but I don't really know what I could use. I've seen a neat build using an R5 Copa Alpine engine at the rear, but I don't fancy going rear engined as this car's handling suffers from too light a front. I wonder if I could use the same engine and transmission, mid mounted by using the transmission upside down or something else?

R5 engined build:
https://es.wallapop.com/item/renault-r8-1970-571051891

Cheers,

Alex

Alez

posted on 27/3/21 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like the R5 engined car advert has expired... I wonder if it will appear again in a few days, shame I didn't download the engine bay pictures :-(
Theshed

posted on 28/3/21 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
I like the R8. Personally I would be trying to upgrade it to Gordini spec and leave the engine where it is. But if you want to play and stick an engine in the middle why not use the R21 transaxle? You have lots of choices from there on renault engines fro a 4 pot turbo to the v6 as in the alpine. The transaxle can be used in either orientation. Loads are used in GT40 replicas etc.
Alez

posted on 28/3/21 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
The Gordini route is very attractive but expensive. The R21 gearbox looks great. The reason why I had the Subaru engine in mind is its size. I'd like the engine to sit towards the rear in an effort to keep the car looks. Z-Cars are stuffing those engines in small cars and they can even retain the rear seats in some cases. I wonder if I could do something like that with a Renault power train.
Alez

posted on 28/3/21 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
I've just read a little about the Renault R21. I'm sure you all know this but I didn't. If I understand correctly, these used UN1 transaxles with differing legths depending on torque capability. These were mated to an engine at the front, which could be longitudinal or transverse depending on model. It looks like I could take a complete power train pretty much as is and stick it at the rear. If I go for a smaller one (short transaxle and transverse engine) I may be able to keep much of it inside the engine bay. I think retaining a Renault theme for the power train would be nice in this case.
Theshed

posted on 28/3/21 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
I really like the UN1 transaxles. They have a weak point at the 2 piece input shaft but nothing that will be of consequence in a r8.

I had a mate with an R25 turbo in about 1980 something - he loved it. The same gearbox is found in the early Lotus esprit....so fancy a V8 turbo....

Alez

posted on 30/3/21 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theshed
I had a mate with an R25 turbo in about 1980 something - he loved it. The same gearbox is found in the early Lotus esprit....so fancy a V8 turbo....

These days I like it when things are the right size. I owned a Fury 4.0 V8 and that didn't work that well TBH

Alez

posted on 1/4/21 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
I wonder why they made the alpine A110 rear engined... the R8 and Simca 1000 had to have rear seats but not the Alpine. I wonder if it's because the short wheelbase makes the mid engine less desirable.
sebastiaan

posted on 1/4/21 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Beetle box + adapter plate to pretty much anything you could think of?
Alez

posted on 1/4/21 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sebastiaan
Beetle box + adapter plate to pretty much anything you could think of?

Rear engined, though. But yes, always an option.

sebastiaan

posted on 2/4/21 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
Ah, I missed the mid-engined bit. In that case, the obvious(ly not French...) option'd be a VAG/Audi transaxle, or in keeping with the french theme maybe the R21 or R16 options. But in terms of parts for those there's not much out there I guess?
Alez

posted on 10/4/21 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
What VAG/Audi transaxle would suit? I owned an Ultima with an Audi 4.2 V8 engine (from an S4 I think) mated to a transaxle from a VW Passat 2.5 TDI IIRC. That worked extraordinary well but I don't want something even remotely as big for the R8. I'd like it light and nimble in the original R8 spirit.

As for the Renault options, spares are not a problem as many Renault models are manufactured and sold here in Spain. The R8 was manufactured for the Spanish market by company Fasa under license, not even by Renault themselves.

The R16 was never sold here, however, so that's not a convenient route. Also if I understand correctly, the R16 has its engine sitting behind the transmission, so you'd have to reverse the whole arrangement somehow (the usual trick of running the transmission upside down I guess), right?

The R21 has its engine in front of the transmission, correct? Transverse in some cases, longitudinal in others. That car was sold here in big numbers, so that's a great option. Not sure what engine options were available, though.

Thanks

Alez

posted on 2/6/21 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
Well...

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/6/21 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sebastiaan
Ah, I missed the mid-engined bit. In that case, the obvious(ly not French...) option'd be a VAG/Audi transaxle, or in keeping with the french theme maybe the R21 or R16 options. But in terms of parts for those there's not much out there I guess?

Beetle gearboxs can be used mid engine as well as rear engined. To do this only requires the diff to be flipped round internally which is very easy and their used that way in many porshe replicas.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 2/6/21 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Love it!

I also have a soft sport for the older renaults.
Late 80's I set out to own all the numbered models, but got stuck at 12 and had four of them. :-0
Regret letting an R17 go, but didnt have anyof the rear engined ones

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Alez

posted on 2/6/21 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Beetle gearboxs can be used mid engine as well as rear engined. To do this only requires the diff to be flipped round internally which is very easy and their used that way in many porshe replicas.

Hey, now I wonder if the R8 original transaxle would allow that too... I could then keep the original power train in its entirety. Now that'd be cool. In fact, I'm really happy about the power train currently in the car, it runs really sweet.

quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Love it!

I also have a soft sport for the older renaults.
Late 80's I set out to own all the numbered models, but got stuck at 12 and had four of them. :-0
Regret letting an R17 go, but didnt have anyof the rear engined ones

Ha ha ha, that's quite remarkable! I like the R8, R10 and, in a similar enough theme, the Simca 1000 and the Hillman Imp.

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/6/21 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alez
quote:

Hey, now I wonder if the R8 original transaxle would allow that too... I could then keep the original power train in its entirety. Now that'd be cool. In fact, I'm really happy about the power train currently in the car, it runs really sweet.

quote:
Originally posted by ReMan

Yeah at first glance it looks like it would be possible with that gearbox. Will have to split the case but easy enough then flip the diff and reshim.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alez

posted on 2/6/21 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Yeah at first glance it looks like it would be possible with that gearbox. Will have to split the case but easy enough then flip the diff and reshim.

That's good to know, thanks!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.