Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rad plumbing
dogwood

posted on 7/11/08 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Rad plumbing

As I am intending to fit my engine tomorrow. I have just been sitting her thinking about the rad plumbing

Can you guys have a quick look at this diagram and see if it looks right.

Also does the 3 breathers by the question mark just T together or have I missed something?

Finaly, I seem to remember there was a pipe to the inlet manifold. Mind you that was a few months ago, so it could have just been a breather or something.
Anyone put me right

David

blakep82

posted on 7/11/08 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
does a cooling system HAVE to have a header tank? I'm sure they never used to... whats the benefits of having one? not wanting to hijack, just thought i'd ask

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

dogwood

posted on 7/11/08 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
No idea

But who am I to argue

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

philw

posted on 7/11/08 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
It either has one in the top of the rad, or a closed system like the one above doesn't it?

Must try harder

philw

posted on 7/11/08 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
does a cooling system HAVE to have a header tank? I'm sure they never used to... whats the benefits of having one? not wanting to hijack, just thought i'd ask

As a matter of interest how are you routing your pipe work for the cooling system?

Must try harder

blakep82

posted on 7/11/08 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
i was thinking both my BMWs had an expansion bottle built into the radiator itself, which is ok, but the likes of my old mini didn't have one at all.

i'd like to keep mine simple, 2 hoses between radiator and engine and thats it sort of thing. i've not given a great deal of thought to it yet, just thought when i saw this thread. i'm not using water heated heaters inside. just electric ones (whenever i get round to fitting a windscreen. or i'll look for a heated windscreen)

anyways, sorry, this thread isn't about my car

David, i'm pretty sure you can just join those up with a T peice. i think the top of the header tank is supposed to feed back to the top of the rad? or is it the bottom of the header feed the rad?

[Edited on 7/11/08 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

philw

posted on 7/11/08 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dogwood
As I am intending to fit my engine tomorrow. I have just been sitting her thinking about the rad plumbing

Can you guys have a quick look at this diagram and see if it looks right.

Also does the 3 breathers by the question mark just T together or have I missed something?

Finaly, I seem to remember there was a pipe to the inlet manifold. Mind you that was a few months ago, so it could have just been a breather or something.
Anyone put me right

David

My header tank has two breathers on it, so one from the rad goes there as does the one from the thermostat, the breather from the inlet i just blanked off.

Must try harder

philw

posted on 7/11/08 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Yeah i know, but as your running an Ecotec i just wondered how you are doing it?

Must try harder

blakep82

posted on 7/11/08 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by philw
quote:

Yeah i know, but as your running an Ecotec i just wondered how you are doing it?

cool like i was saying above, i hadn't given much thought to it, but had just thought 2 pipes between engine and rad. thermostat blocks off the top hose (i think) and bottom hose connected as normal. ii've blanked off the water connections on the back of the engine (the ones the coil pack sits on) still considering where to put the water temp sensor. probably in the top hose.

i have to say, i don't know much about plumping cars. in building the car, its becoming apparent i don't know much at all about cars

[Edited on 7/11/08 by blakep82]

Canada EH!

posted on 7/11/08 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Rad plumbing

Off topic, new cars have expansion tanks because the radiator cap is lower than the water passages in the cylinder head. Your old MINI didn't need one because the rad cap was the highest point in the system, and when it got too hot the valve in the cap lifted and blew the coolant all over the road. These are greener times and we try to keep the fluids in their proper place.
blakep82

posted on 7/11/08 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
ah, is that what it is! my radiator 'should' be higher than the engine, so i could get away with a simple radiator with pressure cap up front just plumbed into the engine?

02GF74

posted on 8/11/08 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canada EH!
Off topic, new cars have expansion tanks because the radiator cap is lower than the water passages in the cylinder head. Your old MINI didn't need one because the rad cap was the highest point in the system, and when it got too hot the valve in the cap lifted and blew the coolant all over the road. These are greener times and we try to keep the fluids in their proper place.

hmmmm, new cars don't have radiator caps.

the expansion or header tank is there because as water is heated up, it expands - these tanks allow the increased volume of water to go seomwhere.

As ^^^ said, mini just pi$$ed it onto the road, so when when the water cools, there is less water in the system. The tanks allow the water to return back into the cooling system.

Back on topic.
Yoou don't say what engine it is but if a car engine, the water pump will have an outlet that goes to the heater and another to the manifold - if you have not heater, then connect the two together.

your plumbin look fine to me but a) you radiator should not have a cap and b) you header tank should sit atthe highest point i nthe system; it should have the cap.

ballcock

posted on 9/11/08 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
The expansion tank is there as said to allow the water to expand when heated this will only be effective when there is enough air in the tank to compress, the old radiators were never filled to the top again allowing an air pocket for the water to compress, the rad cap is a pressure relief valve design to release excessive pressure in the system this could in theory be placed anywhere in the system but is in general at the highest point to assist filling and venting, the breather pipes are to allow trapped air to vent to the tank thus allowing the system to flow correctly hopefully without airlocks restricting the volume of water flowing. If the expanion tank is not large enough to allow the expansion of the coolant at max temperature then a expansion vessel as fitted to a central heating boiler could be plumbed into the system to add extra capacity.
dogwood

posted on 9/11/08 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Ever felt Hijacked ??

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

blakep82

posted on 9/11/08 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
sorry

dogwood

posted on 9/11/08 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
No prob's

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

Vindi_andy

posted on 10/11/08 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
I know this will seem like a bit of a hijack but its all along the same line ie plumbing.

I have fitted a coolman rad, due to space constraints, which obviously has a pressure cap. I have also fitted the expansion tank from the original cooling system. at some point I need to do my plumbing.

Should I route the pipe from the rad neck to the expansion tank or should I just blank it off and return it to a sealed system or is there a non release cap that would do the same thing.

[Edited on 10/11/08 by Vindi_andy]

ballcock

posted on 11/11/08 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vindi_andy
I know this will seem like a bit of a hijack but its all along the same line ie plumbing.

I have fitted a coolman rad, due to space constraints, which obviously has a pressure cap. I have also fitted the expansion tank from the original cooling system. at some point I need to do my plumbing.

Should I route the pipe from the rad neck to the expansion tank or should I just blank it off and return it to a sealed system or is there a non release cap that would do the same thing.

[Edited on 10/11/08 by Vindi_andy]

If the pipe in question is the pressure relief pipe (above the sealing washer of the cap ) it should be pipe to a lower pressure collection bottle not the expansion bottle which would be under the same pressure that you would be trying to relieve.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.